syncing the mix

S

sandyriver

If I cut a 23.98 project in FCP, then do a protools mix based on a digibeta output of that project... What happens when the project is output to film, which runs at 24 fps? Is my mix going to sync with the film?

I'm thinking the mix has to get 'pulled up' .01% at some point. Is this done when the optical track is struck?

Thanks.

your not thinking logically though....

Your film is running at 23.98 frames per second....

your sound is constant... not a frame per second thing, but a time/duration thing...

so when you bring your sound back and forth from Pro-Tools to FCP, your sound stays the same, because the duration of the film is the same....

Alright if you want to do things the professional way, you'll need a few things. First, you'll need to render your locked picture in these steps...

1. Render a quick time reference, video only.... this is for your pro tools session, as so you may import your movie to see it live with the sound.

2. Render your sound in OMF 2.0 format, and make sure to Consolodate the media! If you dont consolodate, you cannot play with the original sound clips, thus you cannot add information that comes before and/or after the sliced shot.

3. Get your self a DigiTranslator. This is a special USB key which converts the OMF files into AIFF for Pro-Tools. Once you plug this thing in, FIND your Rendered OMF files in a Finder window.... and then Option... or CTRL+ Click on the OMF file to get the drop down menu... I never remember which button makes it come down... if you have a 3 button mouse... right click.

4. Click "OPEN WITH" and look for Pro-Tools

5. When Pro-Tools opens, a window will apear. Look at the bottem where it is checked off "Pan Media... something something something?" UN CHECK that box.

6. Then save your Pro-Tools session somewhere.... and then VOILA your ready to edit and mix your sound.

Here are the steps to getting your final mixed sound off of pro-tools back to FCP... if you dont already know this...

1. Once your final mix is done, in Pro-Tools, click "File/Bounce to Disk"

2. Select 44Hz 16bit etc etc, AIFF.

3. Click Save?

4. Open up your Picture lock in FCP, and create 2 new tracks for your bounced audio from protools.

5. Import your audio into your bin... and then SOLO those 2 audio tracks and EXPORT your film to what ever u want.. DV-Cam, Mini DV cam... mini dv? or file...

after that, u are the done!

Enjoy, Mike!

Sorry if I over answered ur question, I wrote this so if ever anyone needs to know how to do it, or want to know sorta what your talking about.. well there it is.

well, I try. lol Anyway, I didnt mention but the digitranslator tool, cost around 500 bones.. so yea, expensive to translate OMF to protools but the correct way.

Network Sponsors

Back