Superimposition effect

d40winker

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of questions. How is the effect done where two of the same person is in the shot at the same time? I have worked with overlaying two same shot images and cropping down the middle to get the effect, but it doesn't work when one passes over the line. An example of this would be like in The Secret Window when Depp is doubled. I am lost as to how this is done. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Dave

You can't just use a line down the middle of the shot unless it's very simple; otherwise you need to rotoscope the action so that you matte out all the areas where parts of one actor pass in front of the other.

Any decent effects program should allow you to do that, but it can take a lot of work.

Yeah, like I said the simple shot I have messed with but still am looking on how to do anything more complicated. Is there anywhere I can find steps to this or are you willing to help? What is rotoscoping?

What is rotoscoping?

Basically you trace the outline of the actors in each frame and use that as a matte to control which parts of them are visible.

Network Sponsors

Back