Sun on camera outdoors

rogermarsh

Shooting with a Canon GL-1 in bright outdoor sun. Can't see the camera's screen image that I'm shooting. Is there something everyone is using that I'm not aware of? Last shoot, someone nearby had a large golf umbrella, and I had a PA hold it behind me, casting a nice shadow over the camera - just enough that I could see the screen image of what I was shooting.

Re: Sun on camera outdoors

rogermarsh said:
Is there something everyone is using that I'm not aware of?

The viewfinder, perhaps? Or just find some way to keep the sun off of the screen. You could build a sunshade out of cardboard.

pop out screen

pop out screen

It's the pop-out screen that I can't see - and yes, another filmmaker simply told me to make something out of cardboard, but wasn't sure how to do that. The umbrella worked; but thought that something professional was made to do this. Thanks.

I've seen lcd screen shades that you can buy, but odds are they'll be incredibly over-priced considering you can make one yourself. Once again, I ask, why can't you just use the normal viewfinder? Doesn't the GL-1 have one?

GL-1 has one, it's tiny, the LCD is really needed on this cam. I bought shade covers for mine, and every camera I've owned since. I do not thing they are over prices. I've yet to see a home made shade cover last through the rigors of hand held, run-n-gun shooting situations. The ones I've paid for have held up through a lot of abuse, work great, look professional, and just work way better than anything I've ever seen home made. And I don't think they're that expensive. Seems I got the ones for my old GL-1s, way back when, for dirt cheap. I forget the brand name.

The viewfinder is on the back of the gl-1. It's got the eye cup that you put you're eye into. Save money and use that.

Network Sponsors

Back