Shot Breakdown Terminology

F

Filmosity

Hi there,

I've worked on several film sets, and I'm a grip, AC, and editor. I'm now working on my first short since college.

My question is this: what is the terminology used when calling out scene numbers on set? For example, scene 29A would be called out as "Scene twenty-nine Apple." What is the rest of the alphabet?

A = Apple
B = Baker
C =
D =
E =
F =
G =
H =
I =
J =
K =
L =
M =
N =
O =
P =
Q =
R =
S =
T =
U =
V =
X =
Y =
Z =

I ask because this short is being crewed by my friends who have no experience in filmmaking, and I haven't had to use that on most video shoots I've worked. However, I'm training my AC with as much knowledge of the position as I have, and I want her to know this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cavs

HAH!

Well... I suppose this is entirely upto the crew... and likely varies from crew to crew & scene to scene.

Just a "for instance"
The independent film I'm script supervising in Seattle at the moment has no particular specification for letter designations.

One day, the slate clapper was calling out directors names... another day it was movie titles... this weekend for all I know it could be cinematographers.

I think the idea is simply to make every letter understood auditorily... incase it's difficult to read the writing on the slate.[/code]

Network Sponsors

Back