Script Consulting

katiemcc

I have just finished the first draft for my feature film script. Does anyone know where I could find contact information for screenwriters or script consultants who will be willing to read through my script and give me their thoughts? Preferably for free.

I have just finished the first draft for my feature film script. Does anyone know where I could find contact information for screenwriters or script consultants who will be willing to read through my script and give me their thoughts? Preferably for free.

I would start by finding some filmmaking peers of yours or people you would trust to give you some good feedback. This is always a good start and does not cost you any money. I always recommend getting some friends to read your script before paying someone to do so. The main things to look for in feedback is if they saw the same movie you did when writing it - basically filter out the notes such as, "I don't like what you named the characters."

Be a little wary of the big script review companies because they often times just want the payment and don't always give fully honest reviews. When you do get to the point of getting a script review I recommend Corey Mandell, www.coreymandell.net - he is not cheap but I can guarantee he will be honest with you. I've done a number of classes with him.

Another option is to find a few film festivals and submit to them (probably need to get it read a few times by friends/peers first). If you make it in then you might be on a good track, if not, maybe it needs some work. Just don't submit to too many because that could get really expensive and not be beneficial to making your script better.

Hi ,
I have written a script based on a true story . I'd like to find out where i can try my luck finding a producer
for the movie .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjUWZu3PaI

Is the link to a short film version of the story? If it is something you produced I would recommend cutting it down from 20mins to about 30sec-1min. Finding a producer will be much easier if you can pitch your story idea in one sentence and with a short teaser. Once you have that calling up production companies and sending your logline and trailer might be a way to entice them to request the script. A tip, don't send a full script, this is usually call unsolicited mail which most companies don't accept.

To get them to request your script start with what is called a query letter, something to intrigue them enough to ask for the script.

Hope that helps.

Based on true story

Based on true story

Thank you Jared. I have first written a book and then the script of the amazing escape . I have already received an invitation for an artistic documentary . The invitation came from HBO via Bucharest branch . Unfortunately in spite of the potential the production did not start for the simple reason because I did not want to give up my authorship rights.
The film director - one of my peers - received EU 120 K for the production . What a shame - the funds had to be returned . Now I am looking for a producer who does not want me to give up my authorship rights ... Anybody out there !.... We have proof the story has tremendous potential for a movie ...even a feature movie ...
Cheers

Vio ...

I would start by finding some filmmaking peers of yours or people you would trust to give you some good feedback. This is always a good start and does not cost you any money. I always recommend getting some friends to read your script before paying someone to do so. The main things to look for in feedback is if they saw the same movie you did when writing it - basically filter out the notes such as, "I don't like what you named the characters."

Be a little wary of the big script review companies because they often times just want the payment and don't always give fully honest reviews. When you do get to the point of getting a script review I recommend Corey Mandell, www.coreymandell.net - he is not cheap but I can guarantee he will be honest with you. I've done a number of classes with him.

Another option is to find a few film festivals and submit to them (probably need to get it read a few times by friends/peers first). If you make it in then you might be on a good track, if not, maybe it needs some work. Just don't submit to too many because that could get really expensive and not be beneficial to making your script better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Jared. I have first written a book and then the script of the amazing escape . I have already received an invitation for an artistic documentary . The invitation came from HBO via Bucharest branch . Unfortunately in spite of the potential the production did not start for the simple reason because I did not want to give up my authorship rights.
The film director - one of my peers - received EU 120 K for the production . What a shame - the funds had to be returned . Now I am looking for a producer who does not want me to give up my authorship rights ... Anybody out there !.... We have proof the story has tremendous potential for a movie ...even a feature movie ...
Cheers

Vio ...

Cheers

Vio ...

That is awesome. Congrats! but bummer at the same time. Since I don't know the details of the deal, I would imagine that they probably wanted someone else to write the script. It is not uncommon for new writers to be brought on to write the screenplay adaptation. With that being said I would call up production companies to see if you can find anyone else that is interested in producing it. Some of the most valuable info I learned was sometimes the best thing to do is just pick up the phone and call. I would recommend choosing your favorite/most sought after companies at the end of your list so you will have practice by the time you call them.

Good Luck.

Thank you again Jared ...

If I may ask a silly question - How do i get a list of the most sought after companies? This production was going to be screened globally. So it is worth having a crack at it ... On top of that it was chosen on the basis one out of many submissions .
Thanks
Vio ...

The link is about the event when we the protagonists have returned home together for the first time in 30 years .
You can see the interest and the reception we got when we arrived. For three weeks we have been busy meeting people
involved in the escape - pursuit etc. We have been on national Tv for one hour show and on rdaio again for one hour - two stations.
We even made a radio feature - again one hour . The most emotional moment was meeting the pilot who intercepted us . We even capacitated people from Air Force to come up with the story about the interception and how we tricked them. We have now over two hours of audio recordings with declarations of those who were involved . When I started to write the book I did not know what went on - on the ground and in the air with all those MIG's chasing us and shooting at us . Thirty years later I went back and found out the complete story . The invitation for Movie made every one happy to participate . But then surprise - I did not sign the contracts . The people of my country are being let down because they are expecting to see a movie as we so said on the TV show and Radio Show ...
I would very much like to call somebody who is serious about making a movie or a film . I my self put at least 2000 hours into this project maybe even more . It is a very compelling story and of that we have the proof . There is interest but I want to do it the conventional way not the give up every right way . In order to make the story complete people had to break the silence. It has been ordered - back then - to be taboo about the event because it was a failure for the Air force of Romania not to be able to shoot down our plane - after 2.5 hours of chasing !!! Only a handful of people knew the secret of our success . Thirty years later to unveil the secret it is a giant step towards success . It would be a shame to stop here ...

Thanks

Vio ...

Thank you again Jared ...

If I may ask a silly question - How do i get a list of the most sought after companies? This production was going to be screened globally. So it is worth having a crack at it ... On top of that it was chosen on the basis one out of many submissions .
Thanks
Vio ...

I would start by going through IMDbPro and finding movies that are similar to yours, look for the production company that was associated with the film and call them up (the contact info should be listed on IMDbPro). Start by asking for the acquisition department or development and tell them you have a the movie rights to a book etc. Basically make your pitch.

Send me a Private Message with your Query Letter and maybe I can give you some pointers or if you have other people you trust in the film industry run the query letter by them and see what they have to say. The query letter will basically be either your phone script or what you can email to production companies to gain interest.

Hope that helps.

Network Sponsors

Back