RED Camera Popularity

Kim Welch

Staff member
I know that when RED first hit the market there was no other camera like it but I think now the competition is providing equal and possibly better cameras but still it is one of the most popular cameras. Do you think it is because of marketing and loyalty or is it better than the other camera options and what options are out there that are equal or better and why?

I was just having this conversation the other day. I think the loyalty to the RED has to do a lot with clientele. A large population of clients have heard of the RED cameras and cling to it as the end all, be all camera of superior filming. If you have it, they want it for their projects. If you don't and that's what they're looking for, they won't really care if you have another camera that does the same quality or even better work. It's a name they're familiar with and don't have to research all over again. I think for some companies, it's about staying in competition that way. Supply and demand. It's definitely becoming popular in our area for corporate video production and not just films.

As for operators sticking with RED, I think it's loyalty. These were the first of their kind, they delivered top notch quality and were the elite camera for a long time, there really hasn't been a reason (yet) to stray. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. ... I'm interested to see how this is going to change in the next few years with the competition really stepping up their game.

I would definitely agree with both you guys, the RED does have a sort of cult following. Especially working with talent shooting music videos who often request a RED cam. I do think that the ARRI Alexa is comparable if not better, especially if you go for the cinematic lenses on the PL mount, and I'm hearing good things about the Black Magic Cam

Great photos! I was just in the Camera News Section skimming through articles. What do you think about this newsbyte about Sony and RED?<br><br>

<p><a href="http://www.studentfilmmakersforums.com/news/Sony_Comments_on_Patent_Suit_Filed_Against_Red_Digital_Cinema.shtml" target="_blank"><strong>Sony Comments on Patent Suit Filed Against Red Digital Cinema</strong></a><br>
<em>Sony Corporation ("Sony") sued Red Digital Cinema ("Red") for infringing 7 of Sony's patents in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.</em></p>
<p>Read newsbyte here:<br>
<a href="http://www.studentfilmmakersforums.com/news/Sony_Comments_on_Patent_Suit_Filed_Against_Red_Digital_Cinema.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.studentfilmmakersforums.com/news/Sony_Comments_on_Patent_Suit_Filed_Against_Red_Digital_Cinema.shtml</a></p>

I would probably go with Sony, Arri Alexa, Black Magic or Even the New Canon 4K or just the 5D Mark 3 or any of the other cameras. However, I would hire a good cinematographer and leave that up to him or her. I think finding the right people for the job and creating the right chemistry is very important and I want to let the talented people I hire do the job they are experts at doing. That does not mean I wont' share my vision before and after i hire them to see if we are on the same page and make suggestions and comments about what I think or ask questions if I feel there might be some information or insights that are not being considered but I will trust my cinematographer and stay out of his way and let him make his best shot figuratively and literally.

Last edited:

Network Sponsors

Back