Question about needle scene in PULP FICTION

K

KAM5383

Hello,
I was wondering how one could do a special effect like the scene in Pulp Fiction where Uma Thurman is stabbed with the needle? How can you get the syringe to stick to the chest without falling to the side, etc.?

needle in chest

needle in chest

I would do this as a prosthetic ,1st bend the needle on the syringe and add a couple of cross sections to keep it upright and balanced, then i would apply a large but thin section of fake (latex,bald cap plastic or silicone) skin over the supports to hide them. The whole appliance is then coloured to the performer and powdered to dry the make up and remove shine. The reason for the prosthetic being large is that general veiwing public tend to look only about 1-2 inches from the protruding implament for the edges of such an appliance. hope this has helped

One way I have seen a needle scene done(not the Pulp Fiction one), was by taking actual syringes, remove the needle, and replace it with a rubber tube. The tube is abvously very thin, and also won't hurt if you were to "stab" someone with it.

If you wanted a shot that you would take your hand off the syringe and the needle stay, liek the previous poster, make a prosthetic. I would NOT recommend just bending the needle over, since that still leaves the needle to poke someone. A safety risk not worth taking. In this instance, once again, remove the needle. make a prosthetic piece of skin with the needle as a part of it(think upside down tack). stck the needle through the clothing and slide the syringe onto the opposite end. Vuala!

How they really did it...

How they really did it...

I'm pretty sure they shot it is reverse and played it backwards. He started with his hand on her chest and ripped it away. When played in reverse it looks like he plunged a needle into her heart.

Re: How they really did it...

Re: How they really did it...

PirateProd said:
I'm pretty sure they shot it is reverse and played it backwards. He started with his hand on her chest and ripped it away. When played in reverse it looks like he plunged a needle into her heart.

no dude, when she wakes up she screams and sits up. you can see the needle jutting right out of her partially exposed boob. it's amazing- the boob not the needle!

They actually did shoot it in reverse, I watched a short feature on it. (Pulp Fiction being my favorite movie ever.)

However, for the shot where it is actually sticking out of her chest, you could actually superglue the end of the syringe, needle removed, to a small piece of plastic, which you could adhere to the actors' chest with glue made for the skin, and cover the plastic in liquid latex, morticians wax, or a latex application.

Network Sponsors

Back