Producer, a Co-Producer, an Executive Produce

Kim Welch

Staff member
I saw on another forum someone asking a question about producers so I decided I would respond but not on their forum. I think a lot of forums I see have people who post a questions as one user and then the same person logs on as another user and answers the question to market a book or workshop or camera or something. I don't do that but I am not knocking it. Their forums are getting posts all the time so it must work. I just love stories and anything to do with making movies which is whole other topic that could be a book. So here is the modified question. What is the difference between a Producer, a Co-Producer, an Executive Producer, an Associate Producer, a Line Producer and a Supervising Producer? I really didn't know the answer exactly so I looked it up. I think that the Producers Guild probably has a pretty good idea of what these different positions are responsible for. Here is the link http://www.producersguild.org/?page=faq and the information is below. They also have a JOB Board http://jobs.producersguild.org/

1. What does a Producer do?
    A Producer initiates, coordinates, supervises and controls, either on his own authority, or subject to the authority of an employer, all aspects of the motion-picture and/or television production process, including creative, financial, technological and administrative. A Producer is involved throughout all phases of production from inception to completion, including coordination, supervision and control of all other talents and crafts, subject to the provisions of their collective bargaining agreements and personal service contracts.
  2. What does an Executive Producer do?
    An Executive Producer supervises, either on his own authority (entrepreneur executive producer) or subject to the authority of an employer (employee executive producer) one or more producers in the performance of all of his/her/their producer functions on single or multiple productions. In television, an Executive Producer may also be the Creator/Writer of a series.
  3. What does an Associate Producer do?
    An Associate Producer performs one or more producer functions delegated to him/her by a producer, under the supervision of such producer.
  4. What does a Co-Producer do?
    Co-Producers are two or more functioning producers who perform jointly or cumulatively all of the producer functions as a team or group.
  5. What does a Supervising Producer do?
    A Supervising Producer supervises one or more producers in the performance of some or all of his/her/their producer functions, on single or multiple productions, either in place of, or subject to the overriding authority of an Executive Producer.
  6. What does a Segment Producer do?
    A Segment Producer produces one or more individual segments of a multi-segment production, also containing individual segments produced by others.
  7. What does a Coordinating Producer do?
    A Coordinating Producer coordinates the work of two or more individual producers working separately on single or multiple productions in order to achieve a unified end result.
  8. What does a Line Producer do?
    A Line Producer performs the Producer functions involved in supervising the physical aspects of the making of a motion picture or television production where the creative decision-making process is reserved to others, except to such extent as the Line Producer is permitted to participate. Unit Production Managers, who perform no more than the customary services of a Unit Production Manager should be credited only as such.
  9. Do I have to join the PGA to be employed as a Producer?
    No. We are a professional association, not a union.
  10. What are the fees involved in becoming a PGA member?

See our Membership Requirements page.
  11. Does the PGA have a Health & Welfare and Pension Plan?
    The employer paid plan: Members working for AMPTP-member companies either directly or as a loan-out, in theatrical motion pictures or prime time network television are entitled to contributions to the Motion Picture Industry Pension and Health Plan. The PGA also offers discounted self-pay plans to members who do not qualify for employer-paid coverage. While access is not guaranteed, most members will qualify for coverage, and for rates better than are found on the open market.
  12. What other benefits are offered by the PGA to its members?
    In addition to being able to network with an elite mixture of peers, other benefits of joining the Producers Guild of America are that your PGA membership card entitles you to view special screenings of motion pictures at Academy Award time; access to the Interguild Federal Credit Union; invitation to the Annual Producers Guild Awards; participation in the Board of Directors elections; and eligibility to serve on various PGA Committees. Participation in Producer/Educational seminars and regular meetings are also offered.

Other benefits to joining the Producers Guild include access to the PGA’s pre-release screening program, as well as copies of DVD "screeners” for awards consideration; eligibility for employer-paid and self-pay health coverage; access to the PGA Job Board and Job Forums; discounted registration for the annual Produced By Conference and Producers Guild Awards; free access to the many Guild seminars and workshops offered throughout the year; subscription to the quarterly Produced By magazine and The Networker newsletter. For more benefits, click here.
  13. Are there established pay rates or minimums for Producers?
    The PGA does not have an industry-wide Minimum Basic Agreement at this time, so pay rates are subject to negotiation in one's Personal Service Contract.
  14. Does the PGA read scripts and assist in securing financing and making deals?
    No, the PGA does not become directly involved in individual production ventures.
  15. Does the PGA assist in securing employment?
    PGA members gain exclusive access to the many listings available on this website’s Job Board. However, the PGA does not act as an agent for the purposes of securing employment.

Network Sponsors

Back