Pivoting Your Film’s Direction: Share Your Experience

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
As filmmakers, we know that the development process can be a rollercoaster ride of creative decisions and tough choices. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, we find ourselves needing to pivot our film’s direction in a new direction. It can be a challenging moment, but also an opportunity to grow and create something truly unique.

So, I wanted to start a discussion about pivoting your film’s direction during development. Have you ever had to do it, and what was your experience like? What led you to make the decision to change direction, and how did it impact the rest of your production?

For me, I was working on a short film that I had been planning for months. I had a strong vision for the story and characters, but as we started filming, it became clear that something wasn’t working. The pacing felt off, and the emotional beats weren’t landing the way I had hoped. It was a tough decision, but I realized that I needed to pivot the direction of the film in order to create something that truly resonated with audiences.

We ended up cutting a lot of the original footage and rewriting several scenes to better serve the story we wanted to tell. While it was a challenging process, the end result was a much stronger film that truly connected with audiences.

Have you had a similar experience? How did you approach pivoting your film’s direction during development, and what lessons did you learn from the process? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below, and let’s explore the ups and downs of the creative journey together.

Network Sponsors

Back