Offline (LoRes) editing in Premiere

F

Filmosity

Anyone have any idea how to capture lo res footage for editing in premiere? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to capture in low res. I'll be shooting on a DVX100a in 24PA mode, but I'll be editing in premiere pro 1.5 on a laptop, so i need the low resolution version of the footage to put together a rough cut on location. Is this possible?

It's not ideal, but it's what I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Chris

What sort of laptop is it? The DV footage coming out of the DVX-100 camera is only about 3.65 MB/sec, so I'm not sure what you'd save by bringing in footage in even lower res.

The other issue is that you can't bring in anything but DV through the FireWire port. You would need some sort of third party card to bring in anything else.

IMO, you're better off simply cutting the DV. To do something low-res would take so much extra messing around that it wouldn't be worth it.

Hi Tim,

It's a toshiba satellite M45-s331 running XP on a Pentium M processor.

My problem is, I don't have an external drive to put the full res DV on. I'm planning on doing some straight rough cutting on location and on the plane back, then exporting the EDL for use in FCP when I return. And of course, all I have is one firewire and 3 USB 2.0 ports.

I guess I'm asking too much, huh?

I don't know if you're asking for too much...it's just that PPro really doesn't have a proxy capture mode...particularly for DV over FireWire.

Premiere Pro may not be the best option for this. I don't know off the top of my head of any NLE software that will capture "offline" for a PC. Most that would do a "proxy" sort of workflow still won't capture a proxy, which is what you need for your disk space situation.

Your computer will probably edit a DV stream for cuts editing, but it's the data space that you don't have...that's what I'm hearing, right?

I wonder if there wouldn't be some consumerish hardware dongle-ish thing with an analog input that would compress a small video file? The FW port is transfer only, it brings in DV as DV because it isn't doing any decode/reencode to capture the footage.

The problem is going to be getting some kind of an EDL that would make any sense at all to FCP from a lower end piece of software.

Network Sponsors

Back