"No One's Gonna Notice" Argument

helenedwards

Not sure how much this comes up for any of you, but I hear it constantly.

When working out the detail of a shot/edit/grade, trying to perfect it, and either a co-worker/boss says "forget about it no one's going to notice anyway"-- how do you feel about that mentality?

Assuming there's a sufficient amount of time on the project for said perfection.

Would like to hear the sides you take and why, thanks.

Last edited:
It really depends on what it is and what you're trying to do. If it is an important artistic thread that runs through the entire story then making it look a certain way matters a lot. If it's just the size of something or other for a scene then it's not important. It really depends on what it is you're trying to do. Also, depends on the style of the film. If you're going for that run and gun amateur look like in the Blair Witch then making a beautiful set or a perfect complex sweeping camera movement is not going to mater. Then there is the artist view of what it is that you would define as "perfect" The great master Cinematographer story teller Conrad Hall once asked for a certain lens for a shot and an assistant came back with a different lens and Conrad said something like, what on earth are you doing. The assistant, said, "this is a much better lens Sir" Conrad, said, "I don't want a better lens I want the look the lens I asked for is going to get us..." I may not have the quote perfect but that really happened and I understand what Conrad was doing. We might want or whole film to have an old used scratched up lens look or whatever so in that case being perfect would mean having a good naturally old used scratched up lens for each shot.

Network Sponsors

Back