new tv series

parri

hi sir

i am a DP from india and i had a few questions regarding a new show i am doing in a few days ...

its a television series based on the film "the princess diaries"..a kind of ugly duckling story ..
i am shooting in beta and wanted to knwo how to make it look like film ...also the pallette we are looking at is more like that of SEX AND THE CITY and ALLY Mc.BEAL...
I want to mak it look like film as much as possible ...
so wanted to know about filtratations ,production design tips , and any other secrets of the trade that could help me achieve that ...
please help me out with your valuable suggestions ..
regards

parri

filmbuff_in@yahoo.com
filmcine@rediffmail.com

Dear Parri:

As I have had no experience with electronic movie making, I'm affraid the only answers I can give you are guesses and must be taken with a grain of salt. I suggest that you experiment and test different techniques before using them. For example, in order to achieve a certain look with the use of filters, even with film, I always made tests before picking the final selections of filters or other equipment. Do the same thing with the Beta camera. I know that electronic equipment wil give results that are different from film because of the inherent characteristics of the equipment. You might want to contact Jon Fauer ASC who has written several books on the subject and is a recognized expert in this topic. Don't hesitate to mention my name when you contact Mr. Fauer.

You might also want to visit my website, www.andrewlaszlo.com and check out my books on filmmaking.

Sorry to so late in replying.

Kind regards

Andrew Laszlo

thanks

thanks

dear mr.laszlo
ofcourse i have read your books ...and thanks a lot for the advice..i have done a few tests and the series is on ..people here quite lilke the product.
will stay in touch with you .
thanks again
regards
parri

My best wishes for the show. Don't hesitate to contact me if you think I could be of help. Incidentally, just last night I saw a new film, "Collateral" that used digital photography extensively. Some of the night photography looked great. I'm not sure if the so called "film look" should be imitated. I think the new digital imaging can stand on its own.

Best regards,

Andy

Sounds to me like the original question has been asked before here somewhere... Make a research with the search engine, i guess you could find it out.

Just a tip I would give : work with low contrast light, may be filter a bit with BPM or some low con filter you like and mind the skys outside... Just a 2 cents, passing by... Good luck

Network Sponsors

Back