My First Animation (Reflections)

Paul Holloway

I made this animation for my Animation class:

Reflection - Animation Final Project

This was a final project I submitted after taking a Animation class. In that class we learned basic animation with drawing and then went into computer animation with Flash,Adobe After Effects and Photoshop.

I originally wanted to do more of a story version of this animation where each reflection had a part. I ran out of time so I made it short like a poem. The first two lines I found online and the last two I made up.

The process took about 8 weeks

First I filmed everything in front and behind a cheap 0.98 poster green and hung it on the wall. Shot many different takes with a HD Camera in front and behind the piece of green.

Once I choose the proper clips (It was about 3 or 4 seperate clips) I took the frame of each screen shot and isolated the background. Then I added a Paint Filter for the OTS Shot, A pencil sketch filter for the reflection.

When I got done with that I took all the layer and put it together in Adobe After Effects to create the animated sequence.

Finally all the clips were run through Final Cut Pro for music and to make the animation faster. The AAE outputs were alot slower so I speed it up in Final Cut Pro.

The process took about 8 weeks but everyone was suprised when this came out on the final day of class.

I still want to do the story version but doing this, it took 8 weeks. So the short version might be alot longer.

I never really got any comments on it though. Let me know what you think of it. If a lot of people like it then Animation will have more focus for me.

Last edited:

Network Sponsors

Back