My Favourite female filmmakers

Swati Panda

Recently I realised there are many awesome female filmmakers who have not received that publicity that they deserve. Being a female filmmaker myself I know how tough it is to break prejudices of the society and become successful in a field which has very less female representation. So I want to praise and applaud their courage as they have inspired me a lot. Most beautiful thing about their cinema is the female gaze they present and the subtleness, deep love, warmth and empathy in their work.
1. Céline Sciamma - A portrait of a Lady on Fire-- This movie just swept me with it's beauty. I watched one of her speech online where she speaks about how to think about screenwriting. Its amazing.
2. Callie Khouri- Thelma and Louise(screenwriter)
3. Katherine Bigelow
4. Chloe Zhao--Nomadland
5. Julie Taymor -- The Tempest
6. Sofia Ford Coppola
7. Sally Potter- Orlando
8. Mira Nair--Monsoon Wedding
9. Aparna Sen - Mr and Mrs Iyer, 36 Chowringee Lane
10. Agnes Varda -Cleo From 5 to 7
I am sure there are many many more awesome female filmmakers. Just listening to their interviews and knowing how they think or how they reached such a high level is inspiring enough. I think we should spread their name more and congratulate them.

I am happy you opened this topic!
I enjoyed watching the movie Joy. The story was written by Annie Mumolo. She is the Academy Award-nominated screenwriter of the blockbuster feature Bridesmaids. The story also tells the struggle of a female character that eventually managed to become a successful businesswoman.
The popular movie, the Matrix, was also directed and written by two sisters: Lilly Wachowski and Lana Wachowski.

I am happy you opened this topic!
I enjoyed watching the movie Joy. The story was written by Annie Mumolo. She is the Academy Award-nominated screenwriter of the blockbuster feature Bridesmaids. The story also tells the struggle of a female character that eventually managed to become a successful businesswoman.
The popular movie, the Matrix, was also directed and written by two sisters: Lilly Wachowski and Lana Wachowski.

The Matrix was written and directed by Andy and Larry Wachowski. Brothers. Some people think dressing in women's clothes and having cosmetic surgery makes them sisters instead of brothers now. Many disagree. And the idea that women's clothes and genital surgery retroactively makes them women in the past is, frankly, difficult to justify. Although I fully support people's freedom to do as they like, I won't rewrite history (or movie credits!) because of someone else's personal issues.

Female directors not mentioned above, whose work I've enjoyed, include

Andrea Arnold - Fishtank
Leni Riefenstahl - Triumph of the Will
Debra Granik - Winter's Bone
Jane Campion - The Piano
Jennifer Kent - The Babadook
Marjane Satrapi - Persepolis
Mary Harron - American Psycho
Niki Caro - Whale Rider
Valerie Faris - Little Miss Sunshine

Then there are many more in TV. Plenty of female directors around. Not sure why people think women aren't getting a fair shake in the industry.

Network Sponsors

Back