movie company

C

Casanova04

i am an aspiring filmmaker. I recently finished a film and I was wondering what I would have to do to start my own film company

Maybe what Temerson said was best, but I'll through this out. My friend and I have been making films together for quite a while, its true we've never gotten an attorney or anything, but I think, from my perspective that its better to just make up a name for your company and attach it to anywork you do. That way when you send it to film fests or whatever, you get your company name out there. That's the indy way that I know of. Don't know if its the best but that's how I sort of work.

In all honesty... all it takes is to print a business card... though the whole incorporation thing is nice & official... the costs can be up there in the end.

its better to just make up a name for your company and attach it to anywork you do

However, it's probably a good idea to make sure there isn't a real company of that name before you do so :). The name I wanted to use was already registered (though dormant) here in the UK, so I had to choose another one.

Also, if it's anything like this country I presume a company would give you more benefits, like limited personal liability if it goes bankrupt. Since I'm not making expensive movies I decided the costs weren't worth it, but if someone gave me a million dollars tomorrow to make a movie I'd definitely want to set up a company to handle it officially. I own the web domain, so I presume that if anyone ever sets up a company of the same name for real I'll hear from them pretty soon :).

Incorporating is an option, but what Mark G says is correct. You don't have to become a Inc. company, as here in the states you can do a LLC, or limited liability company which is cheaper. You get all the benefits of a regular Inc. company, and half the paper work and hassles. I believe it cost me about $375 to pay the lawyers fees and the incorporation.

The best beneifit is that you can now do you hobby and get a tax break on the items you buy for it. :wink:

I dont know what it is like in the US, but in AUS all you need to do is register a buisness name. Done, costs you about $60au, you register for a ABN (australian buisness number) which is about $30. You have a buisness, then if your smart you go on the net, register that same name as a website (hopefully if it hasn't been taken) then you have yourself a film company. Then, buisness cards and your off Bout 120 bucks.

James.

DBA for those in the USA

DBA for those in the USA

In the states, you can go to the county clerk and get a "Doing Business As" for $15 (that's the price in Texas, at least). That cross-checks your desired company name against other names, and registers it for ten years. I've been doing freelance work under my DBA since 1999, and I love having the confidence that no one else can take my name.

If it is a question of whether or not a person should incorporate or not, I would say that they should. By creating this business entity, you are essentially creating a person in the eyes of the government. Because of this, the company would have to maintain its own books, have its own operating procedures, and things like that. The advantage to incorporating in some fashion is that, firstly, it protects you. If you ever want to make a big movie, by doing it under the LLC, Co. Inc., or whatever, it seperates the movie from you, both financially and legally. Let's say that you make a movie on credit cards, but nothing happens (hopefully, it gets picked up and you can at least pay off the cards). If you did it as yourself, or even if you were just using a name that had not been incorporated, then you, personally, will be responsible for all of the debt incurred. However, if the debt is under the corporation, then you are not personally held responsible, and will maintain all of your personal assets. Also, your credit rating will not suffer. Only the company's will. Secondly, to incorporate protects you against any type of infringement. While the same can be said for a person, let's say, hypothetically, somebody sues you because they copyrighted an idea first. Well, under the corporation, they would sue the company. But, if it's just you, they will sue you! Not good! Next, it gives an air of professionalism to do business as a corporation, especially if you have a trademarked logo. While this may seem silly, perception is extremely important. As an investor, would I give money to some kid who said he wanted to make a movie? Probably not. However, would I give money to an established production company, that had, if not famous, but at least up and comers in it? Probably, depending on if I liked the project. And, lastly, it's very cheap to incorporate. There is absolutely no reason not to do it.

One word of warning: Should you incorporate, remember that any intellectual property produced under this heading will be the property of the company, not you. So, again, should anything bad happen, then whoever gets control of the company will get all control of the properties under it. So, keep a few great ideas to yourself, or at least until you are firmly established.

Now, I am not a lawyer. Please take everything that I have just mentioned knowing that. It is what my attorneys have told me, but I would suggest getting legal counsel before using my word as a basis for specific cases. However, this is pretty much how it works.

-T

Network Sponsors

Back