Making a Puff of smoke (like the subject just exploded)

Ok, I wrote a few commercials for a friends up and coming business and currently plan on going to film them in Orlando in early November. I had originally planned on shooting one commercial for free with, quite literally, no budget with the intent to use it for the web and maybe eventually a local TV spot. Today the friend contacted me really excited about a separate, completely different, script I had written for him this week and would like to do that commercial instead which I have not planned for in any way shape or form. He is very interested in creating this commercial with a budget (how much I'm not sure) and with the intent to get it on the air. I told him my only concern was wanting to make sure it's done right. Given the time constraints and figuring out just how difficult it will be to create the FX required to "do it right" will determine whether or not we shoot this new commercial.

Basically I need to take a subject, it will be stagnant, a bird in a cage for instance, and make it explode with the result being a puff of smoke where the subject once was and feathers floating down from the explosion (this will not have any gore involved, just smoke and debris that can easily be associated with the subject that just exploded). The way I imagine filming something like this would be to just film the subject for a minute or two, keep the camera/lighting/location exactly the same and then remove the subject and film the shot again but add the smoke/feather fx. Would this be easier to do in post production with an FX program or is there an easy way to create a puff of smoke with some sort of firecracker/ home built smoke FX. I am still very new to the game so I am not sure what hiring an FX company would cost or if it would even be feasible given the budget. Any and all advice is welcome because time is of the essence!

Network Sponsors

Back