making a class video, how much?

V

video567

Hello everyone. I have been trying to find information on what someone would charge for making a training video. I am teaching a class that is 2 1/2 hours long all I want is the camera man to follow me like from left and right from the back of the class room. then put it on a dvd. I know how easy and hard it can be. I could do it myself, i capture video and make DVDs, SVCDS, and VCD all the time. But I know this one guy who is better at it than me. PLus he could use the money and the credit for the work. The place I work for wants to pay him, but none of us know what a good price is. We are talking about the guy being there for 2 1/2 hours putting the video on the computer, rendering it, adding tittles and credits. I want to make sure he gets paid reasonably. If i did the work it would take me weeks because of my schedulel He said he could have it done in a week. If it turns out good he has a chance to do 6 other classes. I want him to succeed and get payed. he has 3 kids and a wife, so he could use the spare money.

If you have any sugestions on what would be a reasonable amount to pay him i would appreciate the imput. thank you!

I've done this kind of work before in the past. Questions you need to be asking are how many times is he going to do this, ie exactly how many hours will he spend filming. Also account for all the time he spends on the computer doing titles and graphics and such. If it is as simple as you are pitching itI, for example, would charge around $300 for simply putting a camera on a tripod, doing some simple credits, and burning it to a DVD. For his time, I would recommend somewhere between $500 and $1200. Just keep in mind, this is all based upon his experience, what it is you want, and if he'll give you what I call the "friend discount."

hey thanks so much. As for the frind discount i dont want it. my company is the one that wants to pay soemone to do it, and i want him to get as much as he deserves. the dvd he is making will be checked out by the students for free, but I was just curious on how much to have my boses offer him. since i dont to alot of walking in my class i just need him to track me if i do move of screen. i use power point and the test footage we took was visible on the tv screen after we made a "dummy DVD" The videos are just for when students miss class for some reason and usually we are in class 3 hours but we spend about 20 to 30 minutes in breaks. for the title we just want something that says the topic of the class, and then credits with out course name, instructor and then the guy who sot the video so he can have some credit somewhere.

I think ill tell my boss 800 bucks and im sure he will try to haggle. plus ask for maybe 20 bucks an hour for being in the class with the camera and maybe pay for the minidv tapes and blank dvds. do you think that sound pretty good?

since his experience is just mainly making home videos into dvd's, we are not really expecting high class material , just something so students can check out the dvds and catch up on the class material for the next session.

Thank you again for your imput

Network Sponsors

Back