Magic Hour

4knewave

Was just wondering what stock is better to use for the magic hour daylight or tug. I was thinking daylight so the orange of the sky/sunset would pop more. Also what's a good gel to use on a light to add some more fill? I assume either for tug. or HMI to make it a bit more orange to match the sky and not have a drastic contrast between colors.

Thanks

Depends on the sky, type of sunset, weather conditions at magic hour, colors you want, etc.

If the camera is looking at an orange sky near where the sunset, then the face would be filled by blue-ish skylight, not warm light. If the person is facing the orange glow, then the sky behind them would be bluer but the face lit with a warm glow.

Some people like a cold blue twilight look, some an orange look.

Generally if you want the orange look, use daylight film or the 85 correction on tungsten stock. 250D stock is good for that.

It appears more orange because the temperature the daylight stock is balanced for is greater than the temperature at that hour. So if you use Tungsten stock at that hour it's going to be pretty natural looking but depending on what time a little colder. I've used 500t at around dusk and it came out close to balanced. If you want that surreal cool look I would use tungsten. If you want a warm sunset use daylight.

Network Sponsors

Back