Lying As A Way To Hone Acting Skills

Hello there, and welcome to the Acting Forum.

Could you copy/paste your article or parts of your article within this string?

Since the article is open for discussion -

three quick thoughts did come to mind:

1) It's great that you wrote an article; keep on writing :)

2) It's cool that you're asking for feedback.

3) Isn't "lying" such a negative "word" and negative "practice".

In short, it's a fast way to lose friends; revamp your image in a very, very poor and sad fashion; and whether others become affected or not - I would think that this is a fast way to kill (not build up) your own self-esteem. As a film, television or theatre actor, you will need a lot of "real" good self-confidence and self esteem to get through some of the toughest times looking for work, as well as challenging roles and intimidating audiences.

It's not about lying...

It's about creativity, talent, and imagination...

Keep it real.

Hey everyone. I just wrote an article on my site about a technique that I've been using to help myself get into character for my roles. I wanted to know what your takes on it are, or if anyone else uses anything similar to help them practice in their off time. You can check it out below:

http://www.celebsystem.com/cgi-bin/articles.cgi?title=lying-acting-training

-LF

Acting is all about honesty

Acting is all about honesty

"Acting is all about honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
George Burns
US actor & comedian (1896 - 1996)

honesty

honesty

yeah i agree with the others. don't lie. its not about that. this biz is also about makeing friends and people being around you. you will get more gigs cuz people like you than you will based on ur lying abliities

peace yo

Honest Thoughts

Honest Thoughts

I keep thinking about this post so i must have some issue i need to put on the table.

Forget the lying. Unless of course you want to have your actor acting as a lyer. I want truth from my actors. I want real emotions. The real thing. I want them to be like a fine instrument that has a range of feelings and emotions. some soft, some hard, some loud and deep and high. and like a fine musical instrument that can move through them in Staccato and Legato or whatever is born from them as they co create with my script of charactors and give me what they really are! I want the expression to be as close to the living nerve as it possibly can be. don't mess with it - reflect it. make it honest true and real. don't lie to me.

Last edited:
Interesting and effective

Interesting and effective

Lying can be very useful as a tool for increasing your abilities and your range as an actor. Not lying to cover up a murder or lying to your GF about the hookers you spend too much time with. Lying for the sole purpose of practice, with no malicious intent. It is done, for an actor, to hone your ability to say and portray one thing while thinking and feeling another. It is key to acting, for sure.

There's lying and there's role playing.

One of the things I did when I first started acting, to get practice, was mystery shopping. It's a great way to home your acting skills, your improv skills and get paid at the same time, without risking your friedships with an endless stream of lies.

Exactly.

It might be a level of role playing, or it might be a level different from role playing.

How can an actor express and emote the extreme and/or subtle body language, changes in facial expressions, changes in voice/tones, changes in sizes of sweat beads rolling down the face... if they don't know what it feels like to lie at different levels and for different circumstances.

Well, surely there is a safe way to "lie for the sole purpose of practice"... like in an "acting workshop" or "practicing in front of a camera," where if anyone else is involved, they know you are acting for the sole purpose of "practice."

Combine that with your past experiences making the mistakes of lying. And if it's a really dramatic role in a very serious scene, then rehearse how you would do that scene.

No need to lie in real life to real people.

Don't lie to me either.

###

this is funny.

I don't think you need to go out of your way to lie as a mean to hone your skills.

Start observing what people actually already do.

FOR EXAMPLE
What sort of tactics do you use to get your significant other to do the dishes?
Do you directly ask them?
Do you use reverse psychology? (No, I'll do them)
Are you completely passive? (just leave them there waiting for them to get done)

Observe everyday behavior.

www.williamcellis.blogspot.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2729431/

Network Sponsors

Back