Lighting in the movie Transformers

zack86

I'm really trying hard to experiment with different lighting and am always blown away by the lighting in some movies. Just watched Transformers and wanted how they did the lighting when Shea Lebof asks his girl friend about getting in the car towards the beginning of the movie. His face is lit from the right and has these great flesh tones, almost orange but not that much density. I noticed that lighting often throughout the movie.

You'll often notice that people are lit from one side, but from the direction that their eyes are looking -- in other words, if they are looking off camera right, the light is coming from camera right. This way the light catches the eyes better. You can see this in these two angles in "Tucker":

tucker4.jpg

tucker5.jpg

There is also the concept of having the light come at an angle of reflectance, which it shines off of the skin -- usually this is a similar idea to the first one I mentioned, because if the camera is looking three-quarters frontally at someone but is favoring the shadow side, then the key is lighting one-quarter of the face but at a "kick" angle (and again, coming from the direction of the eyeline.)

Network Sponsors

Back