Life as a filmmaker

NadssB

Helloo,
In a school project, we are supposed to build this "empathy map" through interviewing people in the field, in order to better understand life as a filmmaker. So if few of you could answer these questions, I'd be super grateful:

- Please introduce yourself (name, age and city would be enough I guess)
- How do you see your life daily as a filmmaker? routines? daily habits?
- did it change with covid?
- What do you think about the atmosphere in the filmmaking industry?
- What are the sort of feedbacks you get from people surrounding you about your career (family, friends, colleagues... )?
- What are your problems/fear/stresses in the industry?
- Any future aspirations and hopes?

(if u could answer each question I'd be even more grateful)
Thaaanks a lot for your time!!!

Last edited:
Hello @NadssB !

- Please introduce yourself (name, age and city would be enough I guess)
Maura Barbulescu, 29 years old, Arad, Romania

- did it change with covid?
Yes

- How do you see your life daily as a filmmaker? routines? daily habits?
It is a flexible life, sometimes you have many projects to work on, sometimes, you don't. Sometimes you need to rest and take some time off, sometimes, you wish you would have free time but you don't. :) In my case, there's no such thing as a daily routine, because each day is different from the previous one.

- What do you think about the atmosphere in the filmmaking industry?
It's a critical and tough market. In most cases, networking is more important than talent, which can be a bit sad

- What are the sort of feedbacks you get from people surrounding you about your career (family, friends, colleagues... )?
They are sometimes supportive, but most times do not understand what you are doing and why

- What are your problems/fear/stresses in the industry?
The main problem is the high cost of the professional gear. There are always new technologies that appear and that allow you to do more amazing things. However, once you made your first initial investment, it gets easier.
Also, there is always a new extremely talented kid that makes amazing things and comes out of nowhere and grabs the attention of the market. So it's hard to remain relevant.

- Any future aspirations and hopes?
I wish for COVID to be over so I can resume other projects :)

My name is Olivia Perez, I live in Liverpool.
My activities were influenced by coronavirus because many projects and events were cancelled.
I wake up each morning, eat my breakfast, drink a strong coffee, then I proceed with my "To do list". The rest of the day happens accordingly to what I have on the list.
The atmosphere is sometimes nice, sometimes not so nice. You won't get much appreciation from competition and not many of your clients will know how to appreciate your artistic value.
I get mixed feedback because I do not have a 9 to 5 daily working routine. Sometimes, they don't understand why you focus more on your work than on them.
The problems are budgeting, deadlines and your client's expectations, which can be quite unrealistic.
I hope that in the future, artistic activities will receive the same respect as other jobs.

Network Sponsors

Back