John Wick (Fight scene) Re-score - The analogy between Glamour and Gruesome

carlossto

Attachments

• John Wick.jpg
    John Wick.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 144
This is a good score, however, isn't it a bit too cheerful for this fighting scene that you have chosen? :D

This is a good score, however, isn't it a bit too cheerful for this fighting scene that you have chosen? :D
I know exactly what you mean and you are probably right. I wanted to experiment with this by bringing some emotion to the scene. That's why I described it as the analogy between glamour and gruesome, or beauty and the beast. Sometimes I get that impression from Quentin Tarantino movies, where he blends scenes of gore and bloodshed with cheerful music like this "Kill Bill" scene below or "Once unpon a time in the west" with romantic scores by the great Ennio Morricone

I know exactly what you mean and you are probably right. I wanted to experiment with this by bringing some emotion to the scene. That's why I described it as the analogy between glamour and gruesome, or beauty and the beast. Sometimes I get that impression from Quentin Tarantino movies, where he blends scenes of gore and bloodshed with cheerful music like this "Kill Bill" scene below or "Once unpon a time in the west" with romantic scores by the great Ennio Morricone
Understood :D

I know what you mean and totally get what you were experimenting with here! I love to experiment and play with stuff just to see what can happen! If parts make sense or if parts don't make sense, that's the fun thing about being able to experiment, there are no rules, and you can break the rules.

On another note, I can also see what Maura and Kim are saying. To add to what they're saying, other things to consider when scoring or re-scoring for practice is to consider the mood/tone/genre of the film, soundtrack, what the director was going for, etc...

But I also get what you're trying here. Movies like "Good Fellas" use contrasting music for sad, harsh, depressing scenes...

-

I know what you mean and totally get what you were experimenting with here! I love to experiment and play with stuff just to see what can happen! If parts make sense or if parts don't make sense, that's the fun thing about being able to experiment, there are no rules, and you can break the rules.

On another note, I can also see what Maura and Kim are saying. To add to what they're saying, other things to consider when scoring or re-scoring for practice is to consider the mood/tone/genre of the film, soundtrack, what the director was going for, etc...

But I also get what you're trying here. Movies like "Good Fellas" use contrasting music for sad, harsh, depressing scenes...

-
I will definitely take your advice and that of Maura and Kim into consideration, the next time I attempt to re-score an action clip or anything for that matter. It's all well and good to experiment, especially if one can finance their own movie or video, but the reality is, until one can afford to do this, which in my case is presently very unlikely, I have to please the majority by keeping things usual or non-shocking lol. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Thanks guys!!!

Network Sponsors

Back