jodymichelle

Staff member
iPhone Cinematography
Written by John Klein

As most film productions have been effectively postponed by the pandemic, I thought it might be beneficial to discuss options available to us as storytellers and cinematographers from the comfort of our phones. (Fair bias on my end: I use exclusive Apple products, so this article will be iPhone-specific.) Most smartphones are capable of not only 4K imagery – albeit at highly compressed codecs – but also slow-motion frame rates, and there are a bevy of apps worth downloading to maximize their effectiveness as filmmaking tools. Read the full article here:

HighFlyingBird.jpg

Pictured: Steven Soderbergh shooting on an iPhone for “High Flying Bird”.

-

Cheers! One question specific to Filmic Pro users on iPhones...I've started using Filmic with the Dolby Vison HDR setting, which, for me, gives the best results. Problem: When I send the file to the iPad via AirDrop, and then try to share it from there (it's the only way I can figure out to save it to an external drive connected to the iPad) it gives an error when preparing the file to share. It does not happens with files recorrded using LOG V3 or native iPhone video files... any idea whats going on? This way I can't save my Filmic files to the an external hard drive when on the field, and they keep accumulating... Thanks!

I saw that iPhone and other smartphones are used more and more often to make creative artistic projects. The first example I saw was the music video of Selena Gomez, I was looking into her "behind the scenes" video and I was really impressed that they only used phones.

Network Sponsors

Back