Ira Zinman
Ice Storm in the Trees:
1613549247261.jpeg

FIRST NAME: Ira
LAST NAME: Zinman

PHOTO LOCATION: Bloomington, IN
CAMERA: FinePix S 3000
LENS:35mm see further information below
EDITING SOFTWARE Windows photo editor from Windows 10.
FILTERS USED (IF ANY):none
LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE: Hobbyist

For this shot, the camera is FinePix S3000. Windows photo editor was used. (Photo shot at f/8.2, exposure 1/1200, ISO 100.)

Attachments

• Additional information on this photo.pdf
    6.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Mt WashingtonII ! Thank you for submitting your entry to our contest!

The Ice on the trees looks impressive!

Good luck!

For this shot, the camera is FinePix S3000. Windows photo editor was used. (Photo shot at f/8.2, exposure 1/1200, ISO 100.) The true "star" and subject of this shot is Light. The conditions all came together in a rare fashion that to me expressed a rare, beautiful scene that I felt grateful for being able to witness, and feel. As most of us, I wanted this photo to capture the "feeling" that I was experiencing, a rare expression of Mother Nature's Beauty.
How the highlights and blossoming happened here. Conditions: 1. bright sun; 2 dry cold air hovering near the melting 32F thus the ice is thinly coated with a layer of water transitioning from ice.; 3 Light entering the various layers of ice , hits the solid branch, and is reflected back out through the ice layers. Light enters ice layers and there is some absorption by ice molecules, and some deflection, reflextion and refraction; 4. The watery molecules on top of the ice layers are like an infinite layer of moving "mirrors" which causes the light both to reflect and to diffuse, giving a somewhat star quality to the light. The electromagnetic waves of light are diffused, reflected, deflected and then as the light "exists" through the ice it "regroups," both into a center core, and is also diffused with the haloing effect. This is opposed to being prismatically separated into rainbow like colors. ( I did capture this rainbow effect in another shot of a tree, but here the light went into the ice and exited in its beautiful center core and star-like diffused state.) I was very fortunate to be able to capture the "moment" which as you know is continually changing with nature, sun, ambient conditions etc. So a "lower end" camera is used, but higher editor to help bring out the best. With such bright, beautiful light, it is not necessary to have a high pixel sophisticated camera every time. I am not sure that my iphone 12mp camera could have captured this with the same "feeling." This older, light weight, Fujifilm finepix S3000 was versatile enough to do the job, helped by a newer windows photo editor program, also not so sophisticated. The original shot was luckily captured so well that very little editing was really needed. ( I could send the original not edited if you wish.) Thank you for your question.

It’s one thing to respond to what’s before you and capture that image. It’s another to so beautifully express not only your emotional response to that moment and the image but to recall the technical details that allowed you to express that moment. Ansel would be proud.

Hello again! :D We have recently updated our entry format. Could you please edit your first post to contain all these information? :) Thank you in advance!

FIRST NAME:
LAST NAME:
PHOTO LOCATION:
CAMERA:
LENS:
EDITING SOFTWARE
(IF ANY):
FILTERS USED
(IF ANY):

LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE:
(Choose between: Amateur, Hobbyist, Student or Professional)

Hello again! :D We have recently updated our entry format. Could you please edit your first post to contain all these information? :) Thank you in advance!

FIRST NAME:
LAST NAME:
PHOTO LOCATION:
CAMERA:
LENS:
EDITING SOFTWARE
(IF ANY):
FILTERS USED
(IF ANY):

LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE:

FIRST NAME:
LAST NAME:
PHOTO LOCATION:
CAMERA:
LENS:
EDITING SOFTWARE
(IF ANY):
FILTERS USED
(IF ANY):

LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE:
Hi Maura B. About my first post, I could only "edit" with name and address, so I put information in a pdf file and it is an "attachment" to the posting. Is this sufficient? Would you like me to reply with answers posting at this location?

Hi Maura B. About my first post, I could only "edit" with name and address, so I put information in a pdf file and it is an "attachment" to the posting. Is this sufficient? Would you like me to reply with answers posting at this location?
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Sponsors

Back