HVX audio or Tascamn?

hey everyone,

So I am in the process of budgeting. planning, and stressing about my first full length indy film and I have a audio question that I hope some one can bring clarity to.

Essentially, what will record better audio (not taking into account the mic).

A Panasonic HVX 200 onto P2 or a TASCAM HD-P2 Portable High-Definition Stereo Audio Recorder?

I'm pretty sure the TASCAM will be the better choice I'm just hoping that maybe P2 cards and the fact that the HVX records 4 layers of audio may make the difference small enough to where I won't have to sacrifice that extra thousand.

Thanks in advance (and if anyone is accomplished in the field of in-door lighting send me a PM)

It's always going to be a juggling act between budget and quality.

The HVX200 is going to record audio at a maximum bit/sample rate of 16bit/48kHz. The pre-amps and the rest of the circuits in the audio path are going to be fair, at best. You are going to be tethered to the camera when you shoot.

The HD-P2 will record up to 24bit/192kHz. The audio components are for a dedicated audio recorder, so will be markedly better than on the HVX200. It has time sync and you will not be tethered to the camera.

I guess what I am saying is that if you care about audio quality you should go with a separate dedicated audio system. Obviously, the rest of the pieces of the audio puzzle - mics, etc., are important as well.

But the most important link in the audio chain are the pros who know how to use all that gear properly.

Thanks for the help!

I've actually decided to shift from the Tascam to a Korg D888, though I am still trying to find a qualified sound professional to run the thing.

Another real quick question, I'm willing to spend about 300 to 500 dollars on mics, I would like a short shotgun for outdoors and car shooting and a hyper-cardioid for indoors. Any suggestions on good mics in this price range? I understand that I will have to buy/build my own boom, shock mount, windscreen, and cords and have budgeted accordingly.

thanks again

The D-888 is NOT a field recorder.

It does not run off of batteries, so you will be limited by the length of your extension cord(s).

It only records at 16bit/44.1kHz; audio for video is 16bit/48kHz.

It has a lot of functions (reverb, metronome, etc.) aimed at musicians that you will not need.

As far as mics...

The Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun and the Rode NTG-2 shotgun are decent choices in the $275 - $300 range.

The Audio-Technica AT4073A shotgun and the Sennheiser ME66 shotgun are good choices in the $400 - $550 range.

The Rode NT5, Audio-Technica AT4041 and the SE-Electronics SE3 are all decent cardioid condenser mics in the $200 - $300 range, but there are many more choices.

When you decide on a wireless system spend at least $350 on each lav and $500 on the transmitter/receiver. You'll be VERY happy that you did.

Check out my blog on production sound here:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=111888913&blogID=265521269

Of course, you could always consider hiring a sound crew that already owns equipment, which will probably be much better than your own.

Good luck either way, I'm here if you need me.

Network Sponsors

Back