How would you compose the music for a horror scene?

I need your advice in composing the music for a horror scene. I have little to no experience and you could say I am just starting to learn. Any advice helps!

For context...I am currently following a BA at MetFilm School in Berlin. I am working on a project and because I am not really a composer or even talented with music, I am having trouble with a horror scene. The assignment is to create a horror scene of our choice but it needs music too...because of the constant copyright problems, I have decided to give it a try and compose my own music for the project. The scene is not very long, it will be maximum 2 minutes long.

Composing your own track without having prior experience can be difficult. Why don't you take the easier way...and instead of starting from scratch, you use FL Studio and loops?

You are a student, you have the time to learn new skills. Even if you will not become the best composer, you will learn what it takes to compose a song which will help you while working with composers because you will know exactly what to ask them. I heard GarageBand is a good software if you have a Mac. Never used it but I heard it's good

You are a student, you have the time to learn new skills. Even if you will not become the best composer, you will learn what it takes to compose a song which will help you while working with composers because you will know exactly what to ask them. I heard GarageBand is a good software if you have a Mac. Never used it but I heard it's good
Garage Band could work, too!

I need your advice in composing the music for a horror scene. I have little to no experience and you could say I am just starting to learn. Any advice helps!

For context...I am currently following a BA at MetFilm School in Berlin. I am working on a project and because I am not really a composer or even talented with music, I am having trouble with a horror scene. The assignment is to create a horror scene of our choice but it needs music too...because of the constant copyright problems, I have decided to give it a try and compose my own music for the project. The scene is not very long, it will be maximum 2 minutes long.

It always puzzles me how there's little or no link between film schools and university music departments. Surely this is a no-brainer for teaching staff to organise, or even suggest? And students can't think of it themselves? There are many student composers who would like to practise on your film.

If you've no background in music and composition, don't bother trying to write your own film score. It will take you a very long time and the results will be poor. This is not an easy skill.

Horror is a particularly varied genre, and horror music is likewise varied. I have an album published covering many horror styles. If you'd like I can send you a playlist, and put you in touch with the publisher. Licences for student use are cheap or free, I believe.

Network Sponsors

Back