How realistic is it to pick up and move to NY?

C

Christina

I'm in Maryland now, and I wanna move to NY basically because NY and LA have allllllllllll the opportunities. How realistic is it to get a job as a PA or some other entry level in the business and move to NY on funds like that? I mean I'd do a part-time job as well, I just wanna get moving! There is nothing for my major here! :roll:

Costly

Costly

NYC is costly and you need a good plan but I think it is a good Idea to move to an area where there is more opportunity. You can look for rooms instead of apartments or look for roomates to share the cost. You are looking at between 1400 to 3500 for basic small one bedrooms. But there is so much goign on here that it is worth it. There is no place like NYC.

Kim

Yea I figured as much, thanks for your response in terms of pricing.

Hi Christina,

Another option is living in New Jersey and commuting to NYC. You could also compare all the schools in the NY and NJ area that have your major and look into living on campus / near campus. (I'm assuming that you're currently in school because in one of your posts, you mentioned that you're a film student, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm not sure about the variety of entry level jobs that are out there in your industry, but I guess as in other industries, there could be a lot more out there than one would believe exists. The trick is finding out what they are and not just sending out your resume but seriously being focused and proactive about getting a job in your industry.

Don't just hit all the online job banks - live in the online job banks - and apply for jobs and follow up on your applications. Well, not "live" but you know what I mean. Look for jobs in other job/ career resources as well.

There are a lot of opportunities but a lot of the time people have to work hard to make it their opportunities and not opportunities lost.

Lunch break almost over. Hope this helps sum. :D

Kim, great pictures of Central Park.

Network Sponsors

Back