How can I do the acting in my own student film?

juliadoyle

Good day!
I am Julia and I am extremely passionate about filmmaking. For this reason, I am a filmmaking student. In the past weeks, I have been struggling with my assignment of making a short film, featuring myself. The assignment specifically asks to explore the acting side of filmmaking and create a short film of maximum five minutes, where each of us film ourselves, acting on a narrative of our choice. The assignment script can be original or it can be inspired from an existing film (which we will have to give credit to, of course).

I have never done this before and for me everything is still new. For this reason, I am here to seek wisdom for those of you who are more experienced. How should I proceed in doing the acting in my own film? What do I do to act natural? I tried filming myself but the result was very cringe and I was very unnatural. My voice was also very off as well and it sounded robotic.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate every advice you will give me!

Julia

First, you should use a tripod. Second, you could use a mirror to see yourself as you are doing the acting. It can be very weird and difficult to do your acting if all you see is a camera and you can't even see what you are filming.
Try relaxing and rehearse in front of a mirror before rehearsing in front of a camera. It will take you more tries at first but that is absolutely normal.
Don't try to be perfect. Try to be natural. Try to be you. There is absolutely no problem if it is not perfect. Focusing on being perfect creates the robotic voice that you don't like.

Don't worry about it, it can take years for someone to get completely used to the camera. It's your first assignment of this type but it will help you later on especially if you want to film an interview or a vlog.

Hi Julia! I'm Emily, a fellow student. Trust me when I say this - I know how it feels. I am camera shy, like most people. Someone suggested me to join a public speaking club and we do have one not far from Uni. Maybe you could do the same? It seems that the fear of public speaking is very common. More exactly, the statistics from the National Institutes of Mental Health has concluded that 75% of us have it. So you are not alone! But the good news is that the more you do it, the easier it becomes!

First, you should use a tripod. Second, you could use a mirror to see yourself as you are doing the acting. It can be very weird and difficult to do your acting if all you see is a camera and you can't even see what you are filming.
Try relaxing and rehearse in front of a mirror before rehearsing in front of a camera. It will take you more tries at first but that is absolutely normal.
Don't try to be perfect. Try to be natural. Try to be you. There is absolutely no problem if it is not perfect. Focusing on being perfect creates the robotic voice that you don't like.
Thank you, Oskar! I am already using a tripod. I could be using a mirror too, but the only place where I have one is in the bathroom or on the closet door. I could practice in the mirror before filming and when I feel comfortable enough maybe turn on the camera.

Don't worry about it, it can take years for someone to get completely used to the camera. It's your first assignment of this type but it will help you later on especially if you want to film an interview or a vlog.
At the moment, I would probably freeze if someone would ask me anything with the camera turned on. I guess each assignment has its purpose.

Hi Julia! I'm Emily, a fellow student. Trust me when I say this - I know how it feels. I am camera shy, like most people. Someone suggested me to join a public speaking club and we do have one not far from Uni. Maybe you could do the same? It seems that the fear of public speaking is very common. More exactly, the statistics from the National Institutes of Mental Health has concluded that 75% of us have it. So you are not alone! But the good news is that the more you do it, the easier it becomes!
I feel better now! I was feeling so down because I couldn't do it no matter how many times I tried. You are right, Emily! The more I do it, the easier it becomes! Thank you! I will also start searching for a public speaking club near me. I live in UK.

I feel better now! I was feeling so down because I couldn't do it no matter how many times I tried. You are right, Emily! The more I do it, the easier it becomes! Thank you! I will also start searching for a public speaking club near me. I live in UK.
If you live in UK, you should search for a "Toastmasters Club". It is a Public Speaking club and it can help you improve your communication skills as well. You can search on Facebook "Toastmasters *name of your city*" or the name of a big city near you, if you live in a small city and write them a message asking when and where is their next meeting. Good luck! :D

I am not an actor but I have amnesia every time someone points a camera at me. I completely forget my words, who I am or what I want to say. I think it is called "Glossophobia" and it is actually a common fear, like @EmilyWilkes said above. I was reading the comments, hoping I can find a quick fix for me as well. I do not have an upcomming assignment that involves me starring in my own creation but I would like to be able to freely express myself in the digitalisation era.

If you live in UK, you should search for a "Toastmasters Club". It is a Public Speaking club and it can help you improve your communication skills as well. You can search on Facebook "Toastmasters *name of your city*" or the name of a big city near you, if you live in a small city and write them a message asking when and where is their next meeting. Good luck! :D
Thank you Maura for your suggestion! I will! I had no idea we have such clubs in UK.

I am not an actor but I have amnesia every time someone points a camera at me. I completely forget my words, who I am or what I want to say. I think it is called "Glossophobia" and it is actually a common fear, like @EmilyWilkes said above. I was reading the comments, hoping I can find a quick fix for me as well. I do not have an upcomming assignment that involves me starring in my own creation but I would like to be able to freely express myself in the digitalisation era.
"Glossophobia"? I will tell my teacher that this assignment helped me overcome a fear I had no idea existed before. Good luck @alishialester in oveercoming your fear as well!

Network Sponsors

Back