How can a teenager get into the film industry?

Many filmmakers start discovering their passion for filmmaking when they are only 15 years old. However, it is extremely difficult to explore this passion when you are this young because you need to focus on school, doing your daily homework and going to classes. You also need a budget and unless your family is going to support you with this, you will probably not have professional gear.

Fortunately, today, teenagers have options to start their filmmaking careers. The new smartphone models come with a great camera. They can purchase a small tripod or gimbal and a small light. They can create a small portfolio. However, how do they get into the industry once they have a portfolio?

Anong Lawan

If you live in the right city, you can volunteer to help with film events. If you do not live in the right city, you can make short films and sign them up to festivals. You might also need to travel and move to another place

Cathbad

Many filmmakers start discovering their passion for filmmaking when they are only 15 years old. However, it is extremely difficult to explore this passion when you are this young because you need to focus on school, doing your daily homework and going to classes. You also need a budget and unless your family is going to support you with this, you will probably not have professional gear.

Fortunately, today, teenagers have options to start their filmmaking careers. The new smartphone models come with a great camera. They can purchase a small tripod or gimbal and a small light. They can create a small portfolio. However, how do they get into the industry once they have a portfolio?

Like many, I discovered serious film in early teens. There was some Japanese film on at 3am with a 5 star rating in the TV guide. Just out of curiosity I set the video recorder (shows you how long ago it was) and watched it next day. The film turned out to be Ran, directed by the great Akira Kurosawa. I don't make films, I write music for TV, games, film etc. But I have a few comments that apply.

No need to worry about gear and budget. The heart of a good film is the script, and all you need for that is a pen and paper (advice from Kurosawa). There are stories everywhere, right under your nose. Simply keep your eyes open for them and write them down. How to get into the industry? Just keep making material and trying your best. Keep seeking out people who make stuff you like and connect with them. Genuine curiosity and enthusiasm opens a lot of doors.

Pinkcat234

try and do some sort of work experience i would say or even a placement year at university, if you have any connections it might be a good idea getting in touch with people