Help with the SONY DCR-DVD403E

Guy

Hi there,

I am looking to purchase a camera for student shorts. I was debating whether to get a 16mm , a mini DV or a DVD Camcorder.

I have prior experience with the Mini DV format and although it was fairly easy to get to grips with I feel I would be better of with the DVD technology as it would be easier to edit and play footage. I would purchase a film camera but editing that would be a long procedure and I dont have the facilities or money to pay for that.

I think a Handicam would be the best bet for me. I was interested in the new SONY DCR-DVD403E Cam. I was seduced by the 5.1 audio technology which with the 16.9 widescreen format seems to be a great addition to Sony's already impressive range. Judging by reviews, so far the only weakness of the camera seem to be the annoying ability to pick up a lot of sound outdoors particularly heavy wind. Nevertheless it seems like a great camera and it is the first 3 pixel DVD Cam.

I would be using this for short films, as I understand the HQ setup will capture about 20 minutes of footage on one DVD RW. This is pretty good considering the length of my films. I would love some advice on the camera from anyone who has one, also if there are better DVD cameras out with equal or greater sound I would appreciate some replies.

Many Thanks,

Guy

P.S. I am sure theres a lot of other cameras I could buy but I am not sure which are good ones to get started. I want something with great sound and im looking to spend around $1,000.

Network Sponsors

Back