Help with making a movie for the first time.

ansky

Ya so i've been interested in film for a nice and long time, so when i found an into to filmmaking class at my college, i signed up for it. For our final we are making a movie. Our teacher hasn't really told us anything, and has basically just told us to get into groups of 3 and make movies. All 24 of us wrote scipts and we were supposed to picks scripts to do. 2 other people chose my script so we decided to it.

So basically, right now we have no real clue what to do. We assume we're supposed to make storyboards, but what that exactly entails we have no clue. I looked online and found examples, but i have some questions about it. Are we supposed to draw out each frame, or just a general idea of a few frames. I really have no clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also after storyboarding, i've heard about shot lists and i was wondering well what those were and if they are necessary.

Any other help, in any other aspect of production that you think would help would be once again greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Different filmmakers draw up storyboards in different ways. Personally, I find the best way to draw them is like a comic book with little notes by each panel of camera moves, notes on lighting etc. The storyboard is really there to give you an idea of how the whole thing may cut together before you shoot it. You can also show it your DOP or cameraman to give them an idea of the kind of shot you're looking for.

When you have decided what needs to be shot, you need to work out the different shots you will need to achieve what you are looking to get. Again, different filmmakers shoot different amounts and - if you are positive of exactly how something will cut together - you may only need to cover each shot from one or two angles. Since this is your first film project, however, I would recommend you film the scene in as many different ways as possible and cut them together during editing. Your shot list, if you were filming - for example - me and you sitting down having a chat in a restaurant, may look like:

Wide Shot - The table with us both sitting there. Side-on view.

Close-up - Of one person.

Close-up - Of the other person.

General background action - To cut to when your shots don't cut together properly, or when you want to show something different.

That should be ample coverage for a scene like that. You can then, if you have time, get some more interesting shots - maybe feet under the table, a hand, an over-the shoulder shot from behind one person looking over at the other. Stuff like that.

Make sure you light everything well and record the sound as best you can. Wherever possible, keep the set silent other than the actors saying their lines. Record other sounds seperatly (background chatter etc.) and then add them in later to make for a cleaner sound that can be easily cut together.

Hope that is of some help and good luck with your film.

As an audio post production engineer and sound designer I can't reinforce what TAFKAD6108 said about location sound enough. Great location sound makes for a much better film. Although it is my business I HATE projects with poor location sound. I spend endless hours doing noise reduction. I end up cobbling together passable dialog with audio from alternate takes if I am lucky enough to get them. Most young actors have no idea how to do an ADR session. If things are ADRed now you need Foley to fill in the gaps and bring the scene back to life. I create ambiences that cover noise instead of enhancing the scene. The mix becomes a series of negative compromises. The final product has sound that's okay at best. With poor location sound I am a technician fixing problems, with great location sound I can be an artist.

As TAFKAD6108 also said, prep is the key. Plan out what you have to do every step of the way in as much detail as you can. Leave more time for everything than you think you will need. Oh yeah, plan to spend about 85% of your budget. Dozens of very minor expenses you did not anticipate will will eat up the remaining 15% in a very big hurry.

thanks alot guys. and about sound i dont think im gonna have a huge problem. The majority of the film takes place in one room with 3 - 4 people talking. Theres some yelling, arguing, and some moving around. That is really where everything happens, and the room is pretty small too. Hopefully i won't have too many problems with sound.

You will be amazed at what can be heard by a microphone.

I'm going to be get up on my soap box and give you my point of view as a location recordist and audio post engineer.

Sit down in that room in total silence for about 10 minutes at different times of the day and listen to all of the sounds that are present.

If your location is near a road the traffic patterns will be different depending on the day and the hour of the day. There are probably neighbors and their patterns will shift as well. Do the neighbors have kids or pets that might run around? Near an air traffic pattern, a subway, a railroad, a truck stop, a hospital, a police station, a firehouse, a school, a church or town hall with bells?

Is there a 'fridge in the next room? Does the light over the stove hum? A buzzing lamp in the hall? A clock ticking somewhere? Does the clock radio give off a hum? Even when asleep PCs make a little noise, so do cable boxes. All of these thing should be turned off!!!

Is the room very resonant? You may need to put up some sound blankets and lay down some carpeting.

Watch the talking, even in whispers. "Soft" shoes only for the entire crew and clothing that doesn't make noise. Wooden floors can be a nightmare when the talent wears hard shoes. Put soft soles on them or put down some carpeting if the floor won't be in the shot. Old floors also creak. Make sure hard floors are swept before rolling. That little piece of grit can sound huge later on.

I recently worked on a project where the director was in love with a particular indoor location. The location recordist and I both objected as strongly as we could because it sat between train tracks and a highway and was in an air traffic pattern. After editing each shot had a completely different background ambience. The wide shots were mostly car traffic, the two shots and close ups were a crazy mix of jets, trains and trucks. It was absolutley impossible to make it smooth or believable sonically.

On another project the outdoor location was on a large piece of property so was fairly quiet as far as man made sounds were concerned. The problem arose when the wind would carry the chimes from a nearby church. The shoot took three times as long as it should have because every 15 minutes we had to wait for the damned bells to stop ringing.

Had an intern cable wrangler on a set once who wore courderoy pants. SWISH SWISH SWISH!

This one came in for audio post. Big old antique grandfathers clock in the library down the hall. They even remembered to turn the chimes off but forgot to stop the pendulum. Every time the shot changed the ticking would stutter or even echo when the dialog was cut to overlap. They ended up doing ADR for the entire scene; if they edited to keep the ticking in sync the scene lost it's power. The ADR was very good, but didn't have that special intensity of the location dialog. The scene also had to be Foleyed.

Another one had the talent in boots on a hard wood floor. Every time she walked it was like King Kong headed for the kill!!!

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to cut out the crew talking or moving around.

I could go on, but every example I gave at the beginning has at one time or another been a problem during audio post. Most indie film makers do not have the luxury of Holloywood budgets or scheduling. Many big budget films are anywhere from 50% to 90% ADR!!! However, the footage is ready for ADR within 24 hours. If the talent is not required on the set the next day they can do their ADR work. The talent is still in character, which makes for great continuity as far as the voices go. It enables the dialog editor to substitute single words and phrases instead of entire lines. It also helps that the talent knows how to do ADR.

One of the reasons ADR is so prevelent in big budget productions is that sets are becoming noisier. Another reason is that, if you have the budget, you can sonically make it entirely believable and have the ability to artistically enhance the scene with sound design to a remarkable degree.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. It's just very frustrating for all of us audio types that so many young film makers don't think about sound until the audio post process, and by then it's too late. As Steven Spielberg says, "Sound is half the expereince." Many of the "classic" films of the last 30 years or so have had the sound designer involved during pre-production.

Now I'll shut up.

Personally, I would always take a video camera to the location you're going to shoot and get some footage beforehand. Not only will you be able to get some idea of how it looks on screen, but any background noise will be very obvious when you play it back on your TV. Even better is to take your sound recordist too, but it's still a good idea to take the camera.

A while ago I recorded sound on a student short: one of the locations was not only right on a busy corner near traffic lights, but right underneath a air conditioning plant which was buzzing away to itself the whole time. Needless to say, despite our best efforts that scene was cut from the finished movie.

The problem arose when the wind would carry the chimes from a nearby church.

I once worked on a low-budget fantasy feature, shooting some sword-fights and dialog scenes in a park in London. Which was fine, except that it wasn't far from Wembley Stadium, and there was a big football match that weekend... I think they ended up ADR-ing the entire scenes because there was so much cheering and chanting in the background.

Has your instructor taught you nothing of the basics like camera lines, shots, camera movement, etc? Good lord. Either he doesn't know, or can't teach. Before you get started, trap him in a corner and start asking questions. A really good primer you should invest in is "Cinematography; theory and practice" by Blain Brown (focal press). After you've finished that one, get "Alexander Mackendrick on Film Making" for more advanced stuff. While I agree with the sound thing, I think getting the grammar of film down needs to be tackled first.

Best,

Dan Selakovich

where are you based?

where are you based?

Maybe there are some local videography clubs who can help.

Shot lists are reeeeeeallly helpful! Otherwise, you might wrap up filming and then move on to editing and realize you forgot to shoot that one transition shot and everything falls to pieces. I export shot lists from my budget/schedule in EP Scheduling and import the list into StoryBoard Quick to make my storyboards.

Network Sponsors

Back