Help with Bolex/Basics please

Billy F

I am new to film, but have owned a few Bolex 16’s for awhile and have read about it’s various workings and loading and accessories and shutter/light compensation and film stock, however I’m still very unclear about basic areas of exposure, depth of field and the step by step procedure involved in taking a properly focused and exposed shot.

My questions are possibly laughable, but can someone please give it go?

Thanks

1. In regards to a film stock’s data sheet exposure chart where for example I might find
2.8 for 64 foot candles.. Does it mean if there is 128 FC of light, then I set the F stop at 5.6? Does it also mean if there is 64 Foot candles of light, then I can shoot with a 2.8 lens wide open?

2. Do I measure light from the film plane OR from the position of the subject being filmed? (I have an old Sekonic L28c)

3. To determine proper depth of field, do I gauge the distance from the film plane to subject OR from film plane to point in front of subject where I want focus to begin, OR from film plane to point behind subject where I want focus to end?

4. What do I need to understand or know concerning depth of field and F stop interaction?

check out: cinematography.com

a lot of information on bolex and much much more.

Network Sponsors

Back