Help choosing a camera...

Constantinou

I'm a new film maker. In September i'll be going to Sheffeild Hallam to study film theory, and doing pratical as extra curicular. I'm being bought a camera for my birthday.

Was just wondering if this is a good first camera.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...m=10&sm=2&tm=0&sku=358060&category_oid=-31057

Its just in my price range and a salesman told me a hard drive camera would be best. But would like some advice from more experienced filmakers. Other suggestions are very welcome.

Was also wondering if my camera, edditing equit or my laptop have to be compatable with the university facilities?

Thanks.

Why would a hard drive camera be "best"? Do you know the costs of archiving the original files? It's way more expensive than just shooting to HDV tape! My studio uses P2 cameras, and are happy. BUT, we did a lot of homework and prepared for the tapeless workflow. It's not for everyone, trust me. If it's a first camera, go with HDV to tape. Also, 30GB won't hold very much video, anyway. You'll be very disappointed very fast. Yep, go with an HDV camera that records to Mini-DV tapes. You'll be much happier.

Im would agree.
The tapes are so easy to use and store.
The tapes can be bought at almost any grocery store (Practically):D

If you have particularly sensitive footage, burn it to DVD for safer storage or you can store it on a huge USB hard drive for later use.

Best

Snowy

Network Sponsors

Back