Having A Clue

Snowman

I accept full responsibility for the failure you’re about to see. The actors were not getting paid when I was in charge. They were working for credit. This was not a fun shoot and I eventually quit my own movie. Again, it’s all my fault.

I handed the reins over to the Producer and a new director. They took my scenes and well...

Whatever you think of version 1, the scene is crystal clear. The acting is above average for a no budget shoot.
This is a rough edit of the scene.

The Mexican girl was replaced, and all her scenes needed to be reshot.

Version 2: I’ll ask the first simple question: Which of the three playing cards is the Spanish girl’s replacement? How did you come to your conclusion? It’s kind of easy to figure out. But, really? It’s certainly not from the character's action.
This version is not really edited. But, all the dialogue and action is there.

Of course the song at the end was just me letting the full shot play through.

To this day, I still don’t know who the other two girls from that scene are. They never made an appearance in my script.

If version one tells the story and shows the characters as best as it could, can you list what’s missing from version two?

A Director needs to have a clue. One of these two didn’t.

I find the character differences fascinating.

No, neither version is perfect in cinematic terms. But, version one cost $0. Version two had a budget of $4000. If version one would have been completed (the full script), it would have gotten excellent distribution, even with it's cinematic flaws. Shooting micro/no budget you're extremely limited, so it all rests on script and directing the actors. An awful shot, well acted, well written movie will hold a viewers attention. An awful acted and shot film won't hold your friends attention.

Network Sponsors

Back