Fluorescent Lights

Thomaslights

I am doing a short documentary about a fashion designer and part of the shoot will be in her studio. It’s full of your standard fluorescent lights which give off that ugly flicker. I was wondering if I could just switch out the bulbs for higher quality ones in the hope that that would solve the problem. Are there any bulbs someone could recommend or even alternative solutions?

Maybe one or two ringlights can solve the lightning problem :)

There is the option to remove the flicker in post production but it is a lot more work to do...there are plenty tutorials to do that such as this one but I wouldn't count on this only as a last resort.

Like Robert said above, it is better if you can solve it with good camera settings. It saves a lot of time afterwards and you will have a better quality too

Go to manual settings and adjust the shutter speed until the flicker is off.
Hey Robert, I know of this as a solution. But I’ve never done it. When I get a chance I’ll go to the location and test it out. But I’m still trying to figure out if I can switch out the bulbs for higher quality ones in order to improve the colour.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion

There is the option to remove the flicker in post production but it is a lot more work to do...there are plenty tutorials to do that such as this one but I wouldn't count on this only as a last resort.

Like Robert said above, it is better if you can solve it with good camera settings. It saves a lot of time afterwards and you will have a better quality too
Thanks a lot for the suggestion but I think solving the problem in camera would be ideal.

Hey Robert, I know of this as a solution. But I’ve never done it. When I get a chance I’ll go to the location and test it out. But I’m still trying to figure out if I can switch out the bulbs for higher quality ones in order to improve the colour.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion
Good luck! :)

Network Sponsors

Back