FCP 4.5 HD: Exporting as Quicktime Movie (Newbie question)

punkin

I'm trying to export a FCP project as a quicktime movie which seems like it should be simple.

If I go to File>Export>Quicktime Movie I end up with another final cut file with a icon that looks like a cross between FCP's and quicktime's.

I can export using quicktime conversion, however this results in a movie that I cannot play on the computers at school (for whatever reason?)

How do I simply export the FCP project as a Movie that is going to play on any computer with Quicktime???

it should be quicktime conversion. what type of file are you saving it as?

Exporting using the Export>Quicktime Movie gives you a Quicktime reference file, which is used for Apple's other products that came with FCP (LiveType, SoundTrack, etc.). It sounds like this is not the option you're looking for.

Exporting using the Export>Quicktime Conversion will result in a QuickTime file that can be played on computers anywhere.

Your problem may have resulted either because of you or because of the computers at your school. If it was you, you may be using an incorrect codec for your purposes. If you've used the correct codec, then the computers at your school may not have a recent version of QuickTime Player installed.

Tell us what settings you've used when exporting using QuickTime Conversion and I'll see if I can't help you out some more.

File > Export > QuickTime, be sure to put a check mark in the Make Self Contained box, you're good to go. The icon may look like FCP, but it really is just a QuickTime movie in the Sequence's native format, and can be played anywhere.

EDIT: There are a few QT formats what won't play on Windows machines, like DVCPRO-HD.

You can always right click on the file's icon, go to Get Info, and change it's host application to QuickTime, rather than FCP, and it'll have a QT icon and always open in QT Player if you just double click it. That's what I'd do.

Network Sponsors

Back