Fake gunshot impact on wall.

sheeps

I'm trying to figure out how I can cheaply achieve this effect. I'll explain it a bit more thoroughly.

The focus is on a guy who's got his back to the wall and is peering around the corner at people who are shooting at him and the bullets are flying off the wall right near him. If that makes sense.

I don't need to see the bullets leave marks but some sort of dust, smoke, powder whatever effect might work. I was thinking of throwing something like a small beanbag thing (like, used for juggling) covered in flour or some sort of dusty powder just off screen to the wall so it looks like it's being shot. I haven't tried this effect yet and it might not be profound enough.

I don't really want to invest in mini explosives. The cheaper I can do this the better, using common household items would be the best idea. Any ideas?

Thanks.

um

um

off of the top of my head i cant think of how but if you watch the extra features on Cabin Feaver and THe hills have eyes you might find an idea

interesting question that i've thought a lot about over the years and i've tried several techniques with limited success. best idea i've seen is to use a paintball gun but you need paintballs filled with "dust" instead of paint. there used to be an fx company in california that sold these pre-filled but i cannot find any current reference to that company. as an alternative, i did find a company that sells empty paintball shells that you can fill yourself with the appropriate substance. still not exactly a cheap solution but this is what many pro fx folks use for bullet hits in tv and film. the shells are transparent to minimize visibility.

btw: be careful shooting these at/around live actors as there could be some high-velocity "dust shrapnel" given off. creative camera placement and editing can minimize this risk.

http://www.pcpaintball.com/product.html

http://www.detonationfilms.com/UnitK-2.html

on that page there are two free stock photoagraphy dowlowds of bullet wall hits.

To use them you just import them into your editing program. Set them in your time line and set the transparency mode to mutiply.

This will make all the white areas disapear and all that will be left is the mark of a bullet hiting a wall.

Thanks man! That stuff looks great and if it doesn't quite fit I'm sure I can mess with it a bit.

Thanks.

Network Sponsors

Back