Does Art Follow Form or does Form Follow Art - “In the Heat of the Night” staring

Kim Welch

Staff member
Last night I watched “In the Heat of the Night” staring
Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger with the great cinematographer Haskell Wexler http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005549/

This DVD has a cepdial features section with a very interesting look at Filmmaking in the Mid 1960s and comments about shooting it by Haskell Wexler in the special features section. This is a great movie that you can learn from. I suggest watching it for the cinematography and for the statements it makes about the social racial tensions and changing attitudes climate of the time and the risks the producers, directors and actors take in the making of it. While shooting in the south Sidney kept a gun under his pillow at the Holiday Inn in real life. ( might be a good story idea in it for a movie about the making of this movie) That Holiday Inn was the only place they would allowed a black man to stay in the days of the shooting of the film. This is one of those kinds of works that makes me think about the old question does art follow form or does form follow art. I wonder what effect this had on the world and the attitudes of the people who live in it and what affect the world had on the making of it. This movie went on to win awards at the time Martin Luther King was shot. Watch it and learn new ways to tell your story from this old golden flick.

Last edited:

Network Sponsors

Back