Does anyone know of good film schools

jw003

I am looking for a good film college to go to. I am looking at private colleges where your grades dont have to be great. I am particularly hoping to go into directing and would like to go to a school that is known for being good in that area. If anyone knows of any that I should look into please let me know. Thanks.

I have to pimp my own school! I really do! THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS! I know, it sounds absolutely CRAZY, but it's true! I am from Wichita, KS. When I began researching film schools, I looked at the usuals: USC, NYU, UCLA. Then, in the Fiske guide, I checked out schools for film, and KU was one of the top ten public film schools! In my own backyard, and I didn't even know it!?!? This state is also gaining reputation for having big filmmakers come out. Kevin Willmott wrote and directed C.S.A., which went to Sundance last year, where each screening was sold out! One of the other professors here, Matt Jacobson, DP'd it. Chuck Berg, Dept. Chairman for Theatre and Film personally helped Jeff Graves get out to LA. Everybody has worked, and still works in the industry. And the ywill get you where you need/want to go. So KU, Ku, KU!

don't forget about Canada :)

Canada has a few good film schools: UBC, Ryerson, York, Sheridan.. that's pretty much it... i think

Some others:

Florida State
Colorado
Emerson
Brigham Young
Arizona State
University of Texas - Austin (very good from what I hear)

Also, look at film conservatories.

USC - UCLA

A newer one that is pretty good is Azusa Pacific University - Roy Wagner mentions Biola a lot.

For non accredited film schools - I have heard good stuff about LA Film School and the New York Film Academy

I'm from New Jersey, so local interest is in the New York area schools. I've heard some great things about the Rochester Institute of Technology. Anyone have first-hand knowledge? I get this "film school" question a lot.

Florida State is the only film school that pays for your productions, i think.

Im going to The University of North Texas and I did research before I came here and compared it vs UT and there is a much better program here in my opion its the best on in the state. There are less people to fight over cams and as a freshman you get into project classes.

Teach yourself

Teach yourself

I'm probably a lot older than most people who post here, but as a retired college professor with a great interest in film and video, I recommend an alternative:

Spend the money on a good camera, editing software, computer, and accessories and just go out there and make your own films!

You'll probably learn a lot more, get more for your money, and you won't be spending a lot of your time on subjects you may not care about.

Volunteer to be a production assistant (gofer) for some local production houses. In a few days on the job, you'll start learning how things really work, and you'll get a feel for the business of filmmaking and video production.

Get a few of the excellent books about low-budget movie making, such as:

• Digital Filmmaking 101
    Feature Filmmaking at Used Car Prices
    Rebel Without a Crew
    Make Your Own Damn Movie: Secrets of a Renegade Director
    Short Films 101: How to Make a Short Film and Launch Your Filmmaking Career
    What They Don't Teach You At Film School

First Time Director: How to Make Your Breakthrough Movie
    On Directing Film
    Directing Film: The Director's Art From Script to Cutting Room
    My First Movie: Twenty Celebrated Directors Talk About Their First Film

You get the idea. All of these books are available at Amazon, and many are available used.

Think about it. Would you rather be in a classroom or out there with your camera? Unless you want the actual degree--and that's no guarantee of success--my opinion is that your time is better spent in the field--learning by doing.

And don't get me wrong. There are many excellent filmmaking schools out there, and one of them may be just the right place for you. But I wanted to make you think about another alternative.

Best wishes, and good luck with your career.

James Stephens (seatlanta)

Looking for a film school

Looking for a film school

I am currently a freshman at RIT, in NY and it is great. In my search for film schools, I found that RIT is one of the only schools that allows the students to touch the cameras and equipment their first year. I have already made several films and am working on digital editing now, and it is only December. I am also getting a lot of experience by working on upperclassmen shoots. This is a lot like the experience I would imagine you would get by just going out and shooting, except you can work with kids that know what they are doing (and you get to work with a lot of expensive equipment with out paying for it). In my opinion this is a great film school, so give it a look.

If you are still looking for film schools, San Francisco State and UC Stanta Cruz have good film programs.

Also: Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

You notice everyone who replied are people who have just started film school or haven't gone to any. You'll find that people really don't like film schools. My best bet would be to go to these seminars that are offered, they give you amazing insight. George Lucas does seminars at USC, just hearing what he has to say is terrific insight. NYU conducts summer workshops. And DVD'S the have directors commentary is very insightful. They say if you want to become a millionaire you have to learn from millionaires, not from teachers living paycheck to paycheck. The same should be applied to filmmaking. Getting involved in some type of filmmaking circle is very important. Unfortunately getting a degree as a director probably won't get you in as a manager at McDonalds. I suggest pursuing a proven degree at a school, and at the same time go to seminars.

joecaholic said:
You notice everyone who replied are people who have just started film school or haven't gone to any. You'll find that people really don't like film schools. My best bet would be to go to these seminars that are offered, they give you amazing insight. George Lucas does seminars at USC, just hearing what he has to say is terrific insight. NYU conducts summer workshops. And DVD'S the have directors commentary is very insightful. They say if you want to become a millionaire you have to learn from millionaires, not from teachers living paycheck to paycheck. The same should be applied to filmmaking. Getting involved in some type of filmmaking circle is very important. Unfortunately getting a degree as a director probably won't get you in as a manager at McDonalds. I suggest pursuing a proven degree at a school, and at the same time go to seminars.

Not true. Many people enjoy film school.

Myself being one of them.

In response to the original question of the thread:

My decision for a film school was Brooks Institute of Photography in Ventura, CA. Some of the nice things about the school are:

-heavy hands on experience: You're making atleast one film a session (two months) from the very first session.
-you have the rights to all the work you make. I believe USC and many other schools own whatever you create while attending there.
-they have soundstages and sets. The school actually has the set from Erin Brokovich, a mexican village set, and the soundstages.
-they've got plenty of equipment. I don't know how much equipment they have in comparison to other schools, but I've never heard any complaints. I vaguely remember hearing we have one of the largest selections. Don't quote me on that.
-it's easy to get in.

Now, I don't want to give the impression that the school has no problems. It does. Any school you go to will have something you hate.

My problems with Brooks:
-projects are chosen like in a democracy. In my recent film class, a number of ideas/stories were pitched, and the worst ones (in my opinion) were chosen.
-Students. Some of them are only here to party. I'm sure this is true of many places, but due to the fact that anyone is let in to the school, we get a lot of students that just aren't serious about film.
-it's expensive. Don't kid yourself, unless your parents are offering to pay for the school, it's going to be rough. If you're thinking about paying for it on your own, I'd almost suggest you take joecaholic's and seaatlanta's advice and try and use some of that money to learn the basics first.

Full Sail in Winter Park, Florida has become known as a very good school with a film program. As far as I have been able to gather, it's entirely or very close to entirely hands on. I've been doing some research on this school since I greatly desire to go there, and while I do not attend, its definitley worth looking into.

EDIT: I apologize for resurrecting a dead thread. :p

some of the schools i am looking at are:

some of the schools i am looking at are:

La Film (LA California)
COlumbia University of Chicago
Art Center Collage of desighn (Pasidena California)

sorry if my spelling is off

:roll: HAL

USC all the way. Nearly all the teachers either work in the industry or are friends with professional directors, producers, editors, etc. George Lucas sometimes appears on campus just walking around. Besides, if you want to make movies, LA really has the best resources and most abundant talent.

I was looking at Full Sail too. A lot of film schools, like NYU, focus a lot on the "philosophy" of film and not as much on actual hands-on learning. Personally I would choose the Hands-on approach.

Chicago

Chicago

Look into Columbia College - Chicago - excellent program that pushes you right into the art.

Network Sponsors

Back