Does a student really need his/her own camera?

F

FractalGirl

Or is it good enough to use the ones usually offered for loan in school? Can you tell me something about this?

Depends on what you're doing. If you're just shooting movies for practice, you can get away with a VHS camera if need be :).

I mean, a lot of famous directors in the past started shooting movies on basic super-8 cameras with their friends: I guess that's about the equivalent of a bottom of the range DV camera today.

Once you start shooting movies for festivals and the like you really want a decent DV camera or better, but until then use anything you can get.

I´m with MarkG. The question is not so simple.
When I was in school, I diden´t have one, but a classmate had one. He diden´t use much.
On the other hand he also had a G4 (this was a few years ago) that he used on almost daily.

On the other side if your school has very few cameras, then you can always buy a very basic (maybe even second-hand).

well, that´s my 2 cents

Thank you for answering my post. I'm looking to buy a G4 with Final Cut Express. Hopefully a camera, too, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again. :)

i've had my own camera for a while, one of the first mini-dv cams on the market, a panasonic. I managed to "aquire" it from my dads office and have had it ever since. Its been fine for everything i've been doing up til now. However, that camera recently broke so i had to go for a while without one. I shot a major project for media studies at school on a friends Digital8 and it turned out fine. So having your own camera is usefull, but not esential. Far more important i think is to have a computer to edit on (i have a dell laptop, premiere pro) of course you can get by without one of these as well, but i find having one is far more usefull than owning a camera. You can shoot your film on a borrowed camera in a few hours, but you may spend several days (or weeks) editing, so relyable access to a computer is very important

Yeah, I'd agree: if you can only have one or the other, get a decent editing system.

Hi Fractal Girl,

I think it depends on the school and access. When I taught at the USC summer film program, I was surprised to learn that it wasn't that easy for students to get a camera when they needed it (it's USC for gosh sakes!). And after going through the hands of a lot of inexperienced students, a lot of the cameras were pretty funky.

Something else you might want to consider is having a camera of your own when the filmmaking bug strikes you at 10 pm. Grab your camera and go! Also, practice is a big thing with me. I teach people how to build their own camera rigs (dollies, cranes, etc.) as well as film movement and composition. When you are learning, having a camera, dolly, and jib handy for learning camera movement can be the best thing in your film education. You don't want to wait until the big shoot to "try things".

Dan

im studying at salford uni and imin my first year and i know other people on similar courses in first year and we ar bottom of the barrel so it looks and we all struggle to get equipment so it came in handy when we all had mini DV cameras so we could still shoot.

so having your own camera can come in handy

When you get to the point that you have an emotional investment in the project you are shooting, then having your own camera, that you trust, is essential. It doesn't have to be an expensive camera, just something that you have learned inside and out and know it's exact capabilities and limitations so you don't end up using on jobs that it has no place being.

for instance, someone wants to use you and your camera to do interviews.
You show up, and they ask you to do a dramatic slow zoom in, but you can't, because the cheap tripod is too rickety. That is the kind of situation to avoid. However, if you are asked to document people having fun at some public event, you probably could handle that since it is not as dependent on interviews but showing people having fun.

Or is it good enough to use the ones usually offered for loan in school? Can you tell me something about this?

I think it's good to have even a crappy, poor quality video camera just so you may shoot stuff. You may never use the material in an edited piece. The idea would be just to shoot, to rack up some hours looking through the viewfinder. It's a good practice for composition and bunch of other stuff.

an important thing to remember

an important thing to remember

one of my company's mottos is that no matter what you are shooting with - HD, 35mm, etc...one of the most important things is to make sure that you are able to tell your story, that you are able to let your voice be heard through the film...i think a lot of times people get caught up with the technology...but the technology is just a tool...the story is ultimately just as important...if not more...

If you only plan on working on a few projects with them mostly being the ones that you are assigned in school, you may be abble to get away with borrowing a camera from the school (If you school or major offers them for students to use) or from a friend or from one of your classmates until you can afford to buy one for yourself.

That being said, if you own a camera that may not be superb, use that one and improvise with your other resources until you can upgrade to a better camera. Each situation is different, but if you plan on shooting a lot of footage or participating in numerous projects, it would best best to have your own camera, even if it isn't the best camera in the world.

Having your own camera will give you more flexibility and the peace of mind knowing that you can go out and shoot anything, anytime, anywhere. It is also worth mentioning that you won't have to worry about being sued or having to pay for repairs if you screw up someone else's (or the school's) camera. That will surely take away the money that would have been better spent on a camera of your own.

yep

yep

Depends on what you're doing. If you're just shooting movies for practice, you can get away with a VHS camera if need be :).

I mean, a lot of famous directors in the past started shooting movies on basic super-8 cameras with their friends: I guess that's about the equivalent of a bottom of the range DV camera today.

Once you start shooting movies for festivals and the like you really want a decent DV camera or better, but until then use anything you can get.

I totally agree.

I think it's good to have your own camera if you plan on doing projects out of your classes. If you intend to do extra projects outside of school, you should probably get your own camera. Also, what if someone breaks the loaned camera on the day your supposed to use it? That's right, you would be very unlucky if you didn't have your own camera as a back-up.
Theres my 2 cents.

Candler

hi,

I think it depends on the school and access. When I taught at the USC summer film program, I was surprised to learn that it wasn't that easy for students to get a camera when they needed it (it's USC for gosh sakes!). And after going through the hands of a lot of inexperienced students, a lot of the cameras were pretty funky.

Thanks again.

Network Sponsors

Back