Do Film / Movie making clubs exist in North America ?

Curious about this as they exist here in Australia and in the UK as well. UK governing body here. Website has links to clubs. Plus link to European governing body.

https://www.facebook.com/IAC-the-film-and-video-institute-41271848296/

Possibly in continental Europe as well as there is an organisation that governs them.

Member of the Brisbane Movie Makers Club here in the capital city of Queensland Australia. Numbers rise and drop but the club has been around since 1937 (known then as the Queensland Amateur Cine Society).

We meet twice a month, hold competitions internally, enter competitions as a club, make club movies and interact with other clubs ( though their is less now than a decade ago). NB. The Australian governing body- Federation of Australian Amateur Moviemakers (FAAM) folded due to dwindling clubs.

Have searched for USA / Canada equivalents but had no luck.

PS. Our members are aged 15 to 85 .... so perhaps not your regular student filmmakers 😁

Last edited:
Hi there!
Welcome to our community! :D Thanks for letting our community know about this opportunity!
You are more than welcomed to share some of your work on our forums :D

I suspect the closest analogue for unaffiliated (i.e. not part of a particular college or school) filmmaking clubs would be the Indieclub groups. Unfortunately it's not really interconnected anymore, but there are local groups scattered around the country. I know there was an active one in Seattle when I was there, and there's one in Cleveland Ohio where I am now.

I suspect the closest analogue for unaffiliated (i.e. not part of a particular college or school) filmmaking clubs would be the Indieclub groups. Unfortunately it's not really interconnected anymore, but there are local groups scattered around the country. I know there was an active one in Seattle when I was there, and there's one in Cleveland Ohio where I am now.
Thanks FD. Do these Indieclub groups you mention have a social media presence ? Be nice to make contact.

Network Sponsors

Back