Director

C

clever_critic44

There is new director out there David Gaz and he used to be a really great photographer. He directed this dark comedy called Icemaker and I was just wondering what you guys think about creative people crossing over into different genres.

Morgan

Crossovers like that aren't entirely unknown: Nic Roeg, for example, was a cinematographer before he became a director, and he made some pretty interesting movies.

Are you familar with David Gaz's work? I saw the movie Icemaker and thought he is a very talented director.

editing to direction - best bet!

editing to direction - best bet!

well, personally, a shift from editing is the best..probably a logical step for any director is to gain mastery on the editing tables. and i believe that once u r a good editor, then being a great director is not far away. the most under-rated job is the best bet for any wanna-be director...

clever_critic44 said:
Are you familar with David Gaz's work? I saw the movie Icemaker and thought he is a very talented director.

In curiousity, are you/are you related to David Gaz in any way shape or form?

Re: editing to direction - best bet!

Re: editing to direction - best bet!

bollywood said:
well, personally, a shift from editing is the best..probably a logical step for any director is to gain mastery on the editing tables.

Yeah, I tend to agree on that. Joe Dante is the only director I can think of right now who went from editing to directing, but if you know how to edit well then it's a short step from there to going out and getting the shots you need to edit together to make a good movie.

greatest joy..

greatest joy..

i agree, and its also probably the greatest joy for a director when he actually edits his own film! i have done that, and its fun..

I personally think that there is no set formula to how to become a director. Sure there are people who transition from one field to another but it all comes down to one thing. If you want to direct, then just direct something. To say that it is best to transition from editing into directing is kinda limiting the possibilities. Same thing goes for transitioning from cinematography. The only way one is going to make it at directing, no matter where they started, is if they actually go out and direct.

The original question was our thoughts on David Gaz's work. I have not seen Icemaker....I'll add it to my movie que.

One of my favorite photographers, Anton Corbijn, has worked in both mediums with success over the years. He's actually doing a biopic on Ian Curtis' (lead singer for Joy Division) life called Control, I'm pretty excited about that --

Network Sponsors

Back