Directing first time actors

G

glersonc

Hello!

I need some help regarding a certain issue. I'm just coming out of film school and am looking forward to start a career as a director. My country of origin is Lebanon and my goal is to direct films there. Only what little good actors we have there are immigrating (just like anyone who's good at their profession actually), and to say the truth our level of acting in general isn't that good given that we don't have the best means and facilities to train our actors.

But that is not exactly why I'm considering first time actors, I've noticed in general that working with those, when done right, gives your film a sponteneity and a human dimension that you can hardly achieve with a proffesional actor. Take Tarantino's last film for example, Death Proof. In the second part of the film, there's a scene in a diner where 4 women are having a discussion, one of whom is played by Rosario Dawson. The other 3 are none-professional actors, one of whom is a stunt-woman that Quentin absolutely wanted in his film to build a story around her personality. If you watch closely you can tell there's a gap between Rosario's acting and the others'. Rosario looks like she's struggling to be more natural or at least as natural as the others.

Other examples that can really paint a good picture would be Cidade de Deus for example, Entre les Murs which won the Palme d'Or last year, This is England, Cousous etc...All of those were filmed with first time actors.

My question is, what's the best method to direct first time actors, and what would be a good acting course or a good method to learn how to get into their shoes so as to guide them in a more effective way? Any schools that offer this specific course?

In City of God for example, the actors were trained for a period of 6 months prior to scheduled shooting on how to improvise a scene. 70% of their lines were improvised.

Abdel Kechiche on the other hand is a controle freak, he over rehearses with his actors to get nail it right how he wants it. When asked why he rehearses so hard and weather or not there was a risk of squeezing every ounce of energy/emotion out of the actors by over-rehearsing, he said that this was the case but after that exhaustion, something would spring out in the actors that would open new views to the scene. His latest film is Couscous(la graine et le mulet) but I would suggest L'Esquive, teenage actors at their best.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

kubricks strategy, the controlled way works if you know exacly what you are looking for out of a scene. But you cant be working with a bunch of lazy pussies.

I think you're greatly underestimating what great actors can bring. For everyone 1 example of a professional actor falling short, there are 1000 examples of a first time actor being terrible. The greatest advantages of good, professional actors in general is that they do the work to build their character, show up, have a wide range, and can many times bring great additions to their characters you never thought of.

First time actors can do a good job when they're playing a character very close to themselves, but most of the time that's not the case. Plus, like you guessed they're more challenging to direct than professional actors. This can waste a lot of time on set. Professional actors can also save you time and time again. If you give them bad directions for example "be angry" they can internalize it and make it playable. Inexperienced actors usually try to play "be angry" and it doesn't work. It takes a much closer eye and a vastly more experienced director to really work well with first time actors.

On to your question though, most acting classes focus around acting methods. Taking almost any entry level course and (probably even more importantly) acting in a few films yourself will give you a much better understanding and appreciation for actors. Don't try to get fancy working with 1st times, just keep everything as basic as possible and try to reherse beforehand.

Read Judith Weston's "Directing Actors" as well if you haven't already.

Last edited:
I think this suggestion can work with professional as well as first time actors. I've watched the best directors as they direct actors.

Give the actor the scene, discuss the intention of the scene, roll the camera (without rehearsal) and allow the actor to give you thier interpretation. Without any adjustment keep the camera rolling and continue take after take until the actor is "worn down". Either the professional actor is worn down until their technique is relinquished or the amateur is weakened until they get past the fear of being before the camera.

The less adjustments to performance the better. You will probably find the awkwardness that makes the performance seem more genuine.

One of the greatest failings is the director that comes with preconceptions regarding performance. An experienced actor can incorporate the director's adjustments into their performance (if they choose to). The amateur will most generally have a wall or barrier of fear that will not allow them to make any adjustment.

The best rule of thumb is to disengage the actor from the process. Do not allow any crew to interfere between takes. Keep the camera rolling until the actor gives the performance you desire.

Frank Capra, William Wyler, and many other great directors were known for requiring 60 to 100 takes with professional actors. Capra openly admitted that his technique was to wear the actor down until they were no longer acting.

Roy H. Wagner ASC
director of photography

thanks alot for your input Roy, it was really helpful. Is there anywhere I could read about this method on the internet or any book I could purchase regarding this method? On a sidenote, should I tell my actors what my plans are, that I am going to require many takes and that it might take a long time until they start performing naturally?

Also, does taking many takes kill the akwardness of being not only in front of a camera but surrounded by a group of people who are watching you? Thanks for your time.

glersonc

Network Sponsors

Back