could anyone help:(?

Alkaline111

im sure this has been asked many of times, but i am new to this forum, and just begining to stroke my film making interests. well heres my goal and budget ill make it short, to the point. i want to buy a digital camcorder that will give me the best results around the price range of 1,000-2,000 dollars or bones. i of right now have no clue of the nessasities a good camera needs i understand 24p is important 3 chip is important but im still pretty clueless.

i would like to use this camera for shooting shorts that would be (hopefully) artistic looking, so i would like a camera that can support good color and subtlilty of light. (examples of directors i like, david lynch, terry gilliam, obviously not expecting to come close to them just a refernce towards the direction id like to go:)) i would be forever greatful if anyone could give me any advice, concsidering you guys know your stuff, and i.... well i am once again clueless:).

i hear that panosonics are nice

Panasonic AGDVC30 3-CCD Camcorder any good?

Yes, the AG-DVC30 is a solid camera, as is Canon's GL2 and Sony's VX2100. Each of those cameras has excellent build quality, and when used properly, they yield quality results.

If you are purchasing now, I strongly suggest that you try to test each camera you're considering before purchasing. Because, even though these cameras have performed well for others, this doesn't necessitate that they'll work well for you. I’m not trying to say that you won’t know how to work the camera, I’m just saying that when you’re able to be more instinctive with one camera than another, that’s a pretty big factor in determining which way to go.

With regard to 24P, most people prefer this setting for transfer to film; theatrical play. Even in video format, the motion does recall a film-like quality, though some contend 30 is best for video and in comparison they’re generally indistinguishable. As I'm sure you know; the only two cameras offering a legit 24P setting are the AG-DVX100 and XL2. The XL2 is a ways off from your price point, but the DVX100’s price has dropped into the low to mid 2's. Even then, you have to consider how the camera will operate for you, be sure to test it before buying it. If the DVX works for you, and the price isn't too high, I'd run with that. Otherwise, the AG-DVC30 and its competitors are all great cameras, which will not disappoint. 8)

thanks for the advice man, i really appriciate it:). i just need to find a place i can buy at that i coudl maybe get some kind of finacing, payment plan. consdering they even have that. i would think they would, not everyone has 2 grand they can just give away at once. ill be lookin around. i work at a gameing studio and actually work across the hall form our cinimatics artist. so he may be able to point me in the right direction but im new and im not sure if hes freindly..... be time to find out:). thanks again boss

ive been searching around alot, and it seems like there might be a quite a bit of scams out there huh? like i found the DCR-VX2100 for like 1,399$'s and the the panasonic AG-DVX100A for like 1,800$. im thinking how can a camera range from 3000 to less than 2 grand. somethings fishy.....ill keep researching

I second Mr. Wagner's suggestion...

Those camera's can all be rented at local video/film production/gear rental facilities...

For instance... the DVX which ranges around 3k +or- to purchase, can be rented for 200/day from Victory Studio's in Seattle... that comes witha tripod & batteries as well as the hard case for transportation.

I shot one of my most recent shorts with this camera in 1 day... if I'd had to rent one (school provided camera), it would have been a savings of 2800 bucks, and that's only on the camera purchase... I also shot another recent short in 2 days of filming... a 1600 dollar savings on those shoots... so, over the three films, it would have cost about 600 bucks to rent... vs 3000 or so to buy... saved 1400 there.

However, consider that when you buy a camera... that's all you get. A second/third/etc battery cost more... the tripod comes separately... and good tripods can cost you upwards of 1000 bucks easily... also you've got the hard case, another couple hundred there... and rain gear (which will usually be provided for a small or no charge).

Simply put... rent, it's cheaper.

Happy filmmaking!

On the other hand, the TRV900 I paid 1600 pounds for back in 1998 or 1999 has shot numerous shorts and a large chunk of a DV feature and been my DV editing deck for a heck of a lot of shorts and another DV feature... and been used for holiday and wedding videos too :).

So buying vs renting depends on what you need it for. At 100 pounds a day I could have blown the entire cost of that camera just on one of those shoots.

Still, I'd be very reluctant to buy a camera right now with HDV just hitting the market: if HDV turns out to be a decent format then it's likely to kill DV for low-budget production, but I wouldn't want to buy an HDV camera before seeing what Sony's competitors will come out with.

awasome advice, i never thougtht of holding off for a while cause im very anxious to start experimenting. but i think i may have a silution. i can buy a cheap camera that will allow me to do just that, experiment. working on compositions, editing, camera angles etc...... and maybe it would be even better for alittle bit to not be so confused with all the settings and features these more expensive cameras have, read up and research along the way. a extra camera laying around cant hurt either:). if you guys have any thoughts? maybe there are some low end cameras that are better than others? maybe spend a few hundred on one.... i can afford that:) thanks again!

for pure experimentation I'd suggest trying to stay as cheap as possible...
any camera can show you how you were at composition... not all of them have a depth of vield for focusing, but you can still get the general idea...

I'm not sure if I'd want to buy a camera though... as the same effect can be accomplished using still images...
granted, for testing out camera moves, a still camera won't cut it... but if you just want to work on your composition & angles, a still camera can give you a really great snapshot of what you're doing.

Mark makes a great point as well... he purchased a camera and it's worked to his advantage greatly.

However... his decision to purchase can easily be looked at as a cost analysis...
if you've got yourself a shooting schedule, and you know what camera you want to use... you can easily price out the cost of renting v buying the equipment necessary to film... then you can make an even better financial decision on purchasing v renting a camera.

Good luck & have lots of fun!

thanks for all the help and replies....

ive done alot of researching and ive narrowed it down to the Panasonic PV-GS200. any thoughts? i think it fits the best for what i want, finacially and visually. i went and checked it out at circuit city along with others and thought it looked like a good fit, the only thing i didnt like was the digital zoom, looked kinda poopy but i suppose theres ways around that.
i found some good prices, but not sure if these places are legit, any thoughts?

http://expresscameras.com/cart/prodetails.asp?prodid=205959&start=1

http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=pspvgs200&l=Everyprice

That seems to be a decent camera and if all you want to do is cut your teeth on filmmaking, I have purchased one of those consumer cameras before and it works for getting an idea of what your style is and whether or not you are going to enjoy making films. As long as you can tell your story, go for it.

Network Sponsors

Back