Changing Technology

Kim Welch

Staff member
I hear that there is more that a little chance that there will be at least two new cameras debuting at NAB from Panasonic and JVC. I am not sure what the price range will be but Cameras have become like computers in a way. The technology moves forward so fast that you can buy a camera and in six months to a year there is new technology replacing it. I think it is just best to plan production carefully and then rent equipment rather than buy unless you are a production house. Any one have any thoughts about this?

From what I understand, the rumor is that Panasonic will debut the HDV version of the DVX100. It will still be 24p, but in an HDV recording format. WHat this says about the future of HDV is anyone's guess at this point, but I think signs are showing a more gradual changeover to HD than people (especially the SMPTE) originally anticipated. The camera is rumored to be priced around $10,000.

As far as renting equipment, I think it depends on what you're doing with the gear. If you buy a DVX100 and use it everyday professionally, and are making money with it, it should pay for itself rather quickly (especially with such a high demand for it). And the technology is not becoming obsolete so fast that the gear is rendered completely useless 6 months later. I still use my Sony TRV-900 for many applications, and that was one of sony's first prosumer digital video camcorders.

If you're going to buy a camera over $2000, but you won't use it a) to make money or b) on a regular basis, then yes, it's better to rent on a per project basis.

These are all the factors that professionals take into account every day. It's also why most event and corporate videographers own equipment, whereas high end cinematographers rent their packages.

-Chris

Yeah, I still use my TRV900 on a regular basis, though its main job is as an edit deck these days. That must be at least five years old now... then again, it was a one-of-a-kind camera, they seemed to figure out afterwards that it was cutting too much into their low-end professional business, as the follow-on models weren't as good.

Certainly I'm hoping that whatever HD camera I buy will last me five years too: it's a bit risky jumping in with HDV, but with the number of companies supporting it I think it will last quite a while.

Network Sponsors

Back