Causality story sequencer app

hellevindschultz

Introducing myself, I'm Helle, together with my husband Per Holmes, I'm one half of the company Hollywood Camera Work. We've developed a new writing app that we're really proud of. It's called Causality and we do have a free version, so you can give it a spin and work in it without committing to it.
Our free version has unlimited story development and outlining of any size story and it's possible to save, print and export if the final written script is under 10 pages.

So I'd love for any writers here interested, to try it out and give me your feedback. It is still a new app, but it is out of beta and we've been working hard to to implement features, that writers are sorely missing in many other writer apps e.g. to be able to work visually with the story at the same time as you're writing it, giving you an incredible overview of even very complex stories.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear what you think of it:

https://www.hollywoodcamerawork.com/causality.html

:)

This looks very cool. I write stories for film and books and would love to try it out. I searched the site for the product for a Q&A section but did not see it, so I will ask you....
1. Is Causality Mac compatible? I have a MacBook Pro.
2. Is Causality a ONLINE program? Do I have to be connected to the internet to write my story on it? ( I live offgrid and have no WiFi nearby. )
3. Once I screen write my story on it - can I print a script out for others to read?

Thank you,
Artist & Filmmaker
Brian Marshall White
YouTube: Creative Flow Explorer

Hi,

1.) Yes, Mac/PC/Linux. iOS and Android coming likely at the end of the year, and one purchase covers all platforms.

2.) It's a standalone app. It's probably too heavy to ever run in a browser. The app only needs to see the server once a month to check the license, but otherwise doesn't need internet. And this can be extended for people who need to be off the grid. Sync and collaboration (currently in development) does need connectivity, but it's designed for sporadic connectivity -- you can be as online or as offline as you want, we can still merge your changes.

3.) Yes, our output matches Final Draft page count with a couple of rare details around line wrapping. And you can also export to every major format -- although remember that outputting to a traditional screenwriting format removes all the work that's unique to Causality, so you wouldn't be able to reimport and continue (it's like going Word -> Notepad -> Word, a lot is lost).

I hope this helps!

Helle Vind

Awesome! Thank you for the quick reply to my questions. I will try the free version first to see how I like it and take my time learning it. Thank you.

Marshall White

I Downloaded it, but apparently my MacBook is too old. I'm planning on buying a new MacBook, so I will have to wait a few months to try the program. Thanks for making me aware of it.

Hi, I'm sorry about that. Apple is ruthless about cutting off OS versions. We're compatible with High Sierra and up, and we had to ourselves throw out perfectly good Macs running El Capitan that couldn't be updated. We held back for a long time, but in the end, most of our Mac bugs were things that were fixed in newer frameworks, so we couldn't hold back any longer.

Introducing myself, I'm Helle, together with my husband Per Holmes, I'm one half of the company Hollywood Camera Work. We've developed a new writing app that we're really proud of. It's called Causality and we do have a free version, so you can give it a spin and work in it without committing to it.
Our free version has unlimited story development and outlining of any size story and it's possible to save, print and export if the final written script is under 10 pages.

So I'd love for any writers here interested, to try it out and give me your feedback. It is still a new app, but it is out of beta and we've been working hard to to implement features, that writers are sorely missing in many other writer apps e.g. to be able to work visually with the story at the same time as you're writing it, giving you an incredible overview of even very complex stories.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear what you think of it:

Groundbreaking screen/novel writing app.

:)
Ah - the mystery force behind HCW. I've had my eyes on it since day one and have been advocating for its adoption in the post-covid formats of collaboration. I think a solution like that has the power to form the backbone of any content programming/development workflows. I am less of a writer and more a "show-runner" but you guys have some really cool tools and nice to meet you! Hope you keep the project alive till it has had a chance to be discovered.

The only excuse I've heard in resistance: "cuz they taught me final draft/i own a copy" followed by "but i like it, we should test a project".

Impressive! :D Thank you for sharing this app with our community!

I've found that the visual overview that Causality helps me juggle a story that takes place over many, many years and has many threads, to be very helpful. I found that you could make what they call Subtext Arcs and non-linearly store traits, themes, etc and see when you have included these things in your beats. The next version(1.1) adds some features that make mapping character things even easier. I am looking forward to trying that version. I really love this app.

The best things are said to come from passionate people!
I have always wondered, how difficult it is to create an app? :) Is programming language mandatory?

Network Sponsors

Back