calculating above the line costs

M

markcheng

Question about calculating above the line costs...I've had a company approach me about producing/directing an online show...They have a rough budget of $120K budget...We're discussing details now, and I'm wondering what you think about how I should calculate my rate...I obviously want as much money to go to the production value, but wanted to know your thoughts about how to calculate rates... Is it usually a percentage of the budget? Would you guys use a percentage scale with a budget like this one? thanks.

for rates look at it this way..

Did you go to school? yes no? how much that cost?

Do you have no other job but this contract, if so you will need it to sustain your self for a while.

any depts you need to pay off??

So basicly
hire a producer, cause they are the one's that allocate the money.. if your the producer, do the job and the budget they give.. what ever money left over is your fee...

thats usualy how its done... and when they are happy with the work, they pay for it... just keep all your bills in order :wink:

well that's kind of like the no-brainer response...I guess I was talking more about how industry calculates director and producer rates. For example, I remember talking to a DP who had worked on X-Files and he said that the show at the time was given a $1 million budget per episode (can anybody confirm that?)...so they must have had a pretty set above the line cost for directors whoever they were...

Dov S-S Simens wrote a great book, "From Reel to Deal" and his budget tempate has Producers' and Directors' salaries ranging from $10-20k of a film's budget that ranges from 260k-460k...that comes to a bit over 4% of the budget...Was curious if any regularly employed directors out there see those numbers...

with a 120k budget, a 4.2% salary is $5040...

usualy the producer is in control of the money.... so he hires the director at the rate he wants.... you only get to try and get more, doesnt mean it will come

Network Sponsors

Back