Bullet FX

D

Dar

I have posted around in many different forums trying to get an good answer to my question:

Is there any way of creating the bullet trail effect (bullettime) as seen in the Matrix?
It has to be simple as I am a movie maker noob.

Are there ways of getting it done in EffectsLab DV?
It would be great just to download a plug-in that lets you place the bullet trails where you want.

Please Help!

Bullet FX

Greetings,

This is relatively easy to do in almost any 3D animation program, in approximately one hour. My choice of weapons is Lightwave 3D, by Newtek.com. It sells for about $1595.00. But, you can find the student version for about $250.00 at Studica.com There are forums and tutorials all over the internet for newbies to Lightwave 3D.
If you've seen the new Battlestar Gallactica or Dune, you've seen the abilities of Lightwave 3D.
I hope this helps.

Enjoy.

To answer your question, it is not an easy effect. My friend and I discussed this at length. First off, they created digital bullets (they weren't real bullets), then they had about 150 still cameras around Neo (who was connected to a wire rig so he could lay back), then they add in the digital ripples on top of the digital bullets, so yes, it is very difficult, and costs more than most can afford. Also, not only would you need to be proficient in a 3D modeling program like Maya or something (like he said above), but it would just take a lot of time. Good luck.

Bullet FX

Dar,

Again, if you want the same efx that you see in the Matrix, Lazlo is correct. You may as well give Industrial Light and Magic a call. Yeah, right!

However, if you want the scaled down indie-no-budget version of a similar efx, you would simply import your video sequence into Lightwave and
then build your 3D bullet in front of the background image. Render the sequence out of Lightwave and there you have it. Simple.

Or, render out your 3D bullet efx and import to After Effects. Layer and render.
If you've ever seen the movie, "Sniper", with Tom Beringer, you'll see a 3D bullet travel out of the barrel of a rifle. Cool effect. This was before the Matrix was conceived.

The only way you will ever know what works is to experiment. As Nike would say, Just Do It!

Enjoy.

Network Sponsors

Back