Bottom line on exporting HD

M

MRoytman

First of all what does it take for a project to appear in HD?

Does one need to have all of the above:

1) Shoot in HD
2) Edit in HD
3) Compress to an HD DVD...
4) using an HD DVD burner
5) AND playing on a HD DVD player...
6) displayed on a HD screen

Am I correct so far?

So this is what I'd like to know. Considering that my HD DVD 12 minute film is an obscene 17GB file whereas it probably wouldn't have even gone over 400MB much less a single GB in standard definition...

Is shooting on HD really worth it if you or your audience don't have every piece in the process?

Meaning that if the normal output ends up on a 4.7GB DVD-R, would I have been better off shooting in standard definition and exporting with no compression at all?

That's my big question at the moment. I'd love if someone who knew the answer will reply.

Oh and if it turns out that this depends on the camera/software...

I shot on a Canon XH A1 on HDV tape, imported into Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and have exported it as every file type under the sun to see what the best result may be. AVI has done pretty good.

Last edited:
Meaning that if the normal output ends up on a 4.7GB DVD-R, would I have been better off shooting in standard definition and exporting with no compression at all?

No, shooting/editing all in HD would give a LOT better quality than shooting,editing, SD and compressing the final product less. Theoretically, SD has the max resolution that a DVD can carry but that doesn't hold out in reality. Downconverting HD into the DVD at the end is going to give a much more detailed picture because it has the information "inbetween the pixels" if that makes any sense. The priciple is call oversampling if you want to Google it.

Network Sponsors

Back