Boom mics?

MrBonquista

im lookin further into enhancing the sound in my videos, not only by quality but volume as well. i hate how 'low budget' my videos sound just because i use the mic on the camera. i was wondering where i should look for, or even what i should look for in boom mics. im not familiar with them, but i want a cheaper one that still has good sound. i dont even care if it comes with a pole, i can save the money and make my own haha. thanks in advance for answering

Shotgun mics or Boom mics would give you better sound.. but only if you know how to use it.

There are 2 different types of micraphones... well 5 or 6 actualy. But usualy the 2 most used for video and film is Omni and Unidirectional mics.

! even more technical from this point on !

Omnidirectional mics pick-up sound from every direction.
120px-Omnipattern.svg.png

these mics usualy are used for reporters and are held close to their faces to reduce the amount of sound noise... this is something like what you might have on your camera, but usualy cameras are made with different presets to get target different sounds...

Cardioid mics are usualy boom mics. They are held up from above your camera frame or below.
120px-Cardioidpattern.svg.png

The trick to pick-up good sound with this mic is how you point it. If you have your actors by a street, and your camera is looking at the street... and your pointing your mic towards the street, chances are you'll catch the street, and that will flood your mic. So pointing is key with this one.

Shotgun mics! my favorite.
120px-Shotgunpattern.svg.png

As you see, the field which it can pick up is even more specific. This results in getting the sound you want, while blocking out all the sounds you dont want. No matter what, its always best to keep quiet on a set since sound does travel. Or else you have to find ways to cut that sound which is traveling with rugs, etc. Usualy the longer the mic is, the more directional you'll get.

With shotgun, or boom mics, the best way to use them would be to point towards the mouth, from the nose to mid neck. This should ensure good sound.

Also it never hurts to get a sound person beside you with earphones and the mic, will help you concentrate on your film more then the sound.

Dont take tomany jobs on a film, only makes it suffer in quality.

WELL I hope that helped.

Mike
btw the red dot in the pics represents the mic.

o ok, well thats good to know, so i know what to look for. i have a question tho... ive been looking online for quite a while, mainly on ebay and i havent come up with good finds yet... does any big (or little) retail store sale them - like best buy/radio shack? or would i have to order them online?

my favorite place to buy high quality gear is B&H Photo in NYC. You can go to their store or you can buy online, and they're very trustworthy.

Chris

Anyone have experience/suggestions about boom manufacturers?

I've looked through every boom B&H has to offer, and I think I like the features and selection that K-Tek offers, but I really don't know what any of the companies are like. Are there some that stand out as far as quality, robustness, features, etc?

Network Sponsors

Back